need help! pit cooking goat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dan-0

Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
Haddock Georgia
hey ya'll!

I got a yearly doe(proper term to call a female goat) that I am abought ready to butcher. I am planning on pit cooking her-however I aint never done it before. I got a general idea of how to do it and I got some barbacue recipes that the pros in the cook-offs use. Does anybody have any tips on pit cooking goat? Just want some input to make sure that I am going to do it right
:?: :twisted: :shock: 8)

Thank yall
Dan
Jones county, Georgia

This is probably a little too late. I wet my goat with vinegar and then apply the rub. I usually let this set in the cooler overnight. The secret of cooking, is to cook it slow and keep it moist. I cook at 225 for about 4 to 6 hours. I then wrap in foil and cook for 2 or 3 more. It should fall off the bone at this time and melt in your mouth.

goat

Man that sounds good, I you can post some pics of the smoke. I have never had goat before, I have ate alot of different things but never goat. I will have to get the block checked on this animal. Good Luck.

Dan-O

Let me know how your goat turns out and send some pics. if you can. There is an annual goat cook off in Electra Texas coming up and I would like to try my hand at it also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky