Need Help Fast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duncan

Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
Arkansas
Im in a tight here my best friend died in a bad car accident on monday and i was asked last night to smoke some thing Im doing the fastest thing I can do Ive had very good luck with hams so thats what Im doing just need to need to know how to keep it warm till it is served I will take the hams off the smoker slice them at home then they will be served about three hours later HELP what can i do

Duncan, Please be careful, remember 40° to 140° is the danger zone, especially after the ham has been sliced.
Can you reheat the slices in an oven? I think 3 hours is a long time to leave meat sitting out warm! Guys, correct me if Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m wrong! :roll:

My wife said something about putting the sliced ham in a cooler. Do you think that would work?

Duncan, First off, my condolances to you for your loss.

If your pulling the hams from the smoker and then leaving to go, wrap the hams in foil and then some old towels. Place the foiled and towel wrapped hams in a blanket lined cooler and cover with another blanket. Insert an Instant Read thermometer in a ham to monitor the temps. I've have meats stay hot (above 140*) for up to 5 hours using this technique. Slice the meat when you get to your destination and reheat if needed. It's the Caterer in me but I make sure that I have a means of reheating food if needed whenever I take food somewhere.

Thank you for all your advice I just sliced it put it in pans and put them back in the smoker had a friend pick them up when it was time. Once again Thank You. He will be missed and I know he is in a better place.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky