Need help, did something quite stupid

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TieMinnow

Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
Hey guys, I could use some help. I smoked some salmon yesterday and I don't know what I was thinking. I brined Saturday night at about 10pm with the following recipe.
4-5
pound fillets, skin on
cup water
cup soy sauce
3/4
cup brown sugar
1/4
cup sea salt
3/4
tablespoon granulated garlic

Sunday at noon I removed fish, rinsed, and dried. At about 1:00 I put this fish in the smoker at about 145 degrees after about 4 hours I had slowly increased temp to 160. Can't quite remember what the probe temp was at that time. At about 8:30 pm my wife proved it at and it came in at 126 . I really don't know what I was thinking. I think when I looked up how to do it I mistook an internal temp of the fish of 160 for the temp of the smoker. I right away increased my smoker temp to 250. At 10:00pm the thickest piece of salmon probed at 145. I than put them in the oven and pulled out when the thickest piece read 178. What do you guys think is my salmon safe to eat? If it wasn't $50 of fish I think would have tossed it already

I was just worried about the 140 in 4 rule. It was only 126 after 8 hrs. I was nervous I might get people sick from it that's why I brought it up so high. I tried some and it's pretty good. Of course I like my fish cooked so it's a little tough, I never was a fan of moist fish

I was just worried about the 140 in 4 rule. It was only 126 after 8 hrs. I was nervous I might get people sick from it that's why I brought it up so high. I tried some and it's pretty good. Of course I like my fish cooked so it's a little tough, I never was a fan of moist fish

You had the salmon in a salty brine for 14 hours so that right there helped kill some nasties. Plus, you are alive to tell us about it. :D

Go to the Safety Forum and Read the explanation of 140 in 4. It ONLY applies to Ground, injected or boned-rolled and tied meat. With any other meat or fish, once the surface gets above 140, the center can spend 24+ hours getting to the desired temp without risk. Think Sous Vide...JJ

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Go to the Safety Forum and Read the explanation of 140 in 4. It ONLY applies to Ground, injected or boned-rolled and tied meat. With any other meat or fish, once the surface gets above 140, the center can spend 24+ hours getting to the desired temp without risk. Think Sous Vide...JJ

Plus people eat sushi (raw fish) all the time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky