need bologna recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldgrump

Original poster
Aug 22, 2013
Western PA
Hey i just got a new Brinkman Gourmet Charcoal Smoker Grill and i wanted to make some deer bologna on it as my first round of smoking. I have a recipe for deer bologna, but it takes liquid smoke. I was just wondering if anyone has any good recipes for 5-10 lbs of deer meat. I prefer to mix my own seasoning and not use the store bought seasoning packets. Thanks

I've used this one before with beef and pork fat and it turned out really well.  I've added chopped pickled jalapenos, mustard seed, and a few other goodies a few times as well.

This recipe comes from meatsandsausages.com
MeatsMetricUS
beef700 g1.54 lb.
pork trimmings300 g0.66 lb.
[h2]Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat[/h2]
salt18 g3 tsp.
Cure #12.5 g½ tsp.
white pepper2.0 g1 tsp.
paprika2.0 g1 tsp.
allspice2.0 g1 tsp.
coriander2.0 g1 tsp.
water150 g⅝ cup
[h2]Instructions[/h2]
  1. Grind meats through 3/16” plate (5 mm). Keep lean meats separately from fat trimmings. Refreeze and grind again. Refreeze again and grind through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
  2. Mix lean beef with all ingredients adding ⅓ (50 ml) of cold water. Add lean pork and ⅓ of cold water and mix well. Add fat trimmings and the last ⅓ of water and mix everything well together.
  3. Stuff firmly into 40-60 mm beef middles or fibrous casings. Form 18” (40 cm) long sections. Use butchers twine to reinforce the ends and form a hanging loop.
  4. Hang on smokesticks for one hour.
  5. When sausages feel dry to touch, apply hot smoke 50-60º C (120-140º F) for 2 hours.
  6. Gradually increase smokehouse temperature to 70-77º C (160-170º F), until internal meat temperature reaches 154-158º F(68-70º C). This should take 45-60 minutes or more depending on the size of casings.
  7. Shower with cold water for about 10 minutes.
  8. Hang for 2 hours at room temperature and then place in a refrigerator.
Charlie

Here is one from NEPAS, I just made again and really like it.

Amish Ring Bologna from Nepas

Old Amish Ring Bologna is made with pork. 

For 2.5 lbs in a couple different ways.

2 lbs lean pork

1/2lb  back fat

OR

2 lb pork shoulder

1/2 lb beef heart or wild game.

Grind the meats thru med plate 2x

2 t salt

1/2 t cure #1

1 t ground mustard, packed

1 t white pepper

1/2 t allspice

1/2 t marjoram

2 garlic cloves chopped fine

1/2 cup fine powder milk (opt)

1/2 cup cold water

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky