Need a Rub recipe for Cornish Hens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lmci

Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Southeastern Va
I'm planning to do 4 of them this weekend; got the brine figured out but can't find anything on a rub suitable for chicken/hens.  Any thoughts?

I have a store-bought rub seasoning but would rather mix something up (without 50% salt content), if possible.

Appreciate any thoughts,

Larry

Here's a variation of one I conjured-up more than 2 years ago for yard birds, and we really liked it (reg & spicy versions), and it's all ingredients which most any kitchen would have in the spice cabinet:

1/2 Tbls Black Pepper, medium to fine ground

1/2 Tbls White Pepper powder (can be omitted and double the black pepper is desired)

1/2 Tbls Garlic, granulated

1 tsp Onion powder

2 Tbls Kosher Salt

1 tsp Sweet Basil Leaves, crushed or powdered

1 tsp Oregano, powdered

1 tsp Chili powder

***1 tsp Cayenne Pepper

***1 tsp crushed Red Pepper

***1/8 tsp cinnamon

***optional for a spicy/hot version…double these amounts for the more daring and adventurous heat seekers.

EDIT: the cinnamon helps to smooth over any bitter aftertaste from the cayenne pepper.

This recipe is enough for two large chickens with a reasonably heavy dose.

Enjoy!

Eric

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Now I have and always like alittle kick with my rubs so I would recommand that you use straight up Old Bay. Yes it is really pretty good on pourlty too.

Guys, thanks a million for the recipes.  I'll have to get to a q-view soon and will let you know what I went with.

Much appreciated,

Larry

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky