Need a new vacuum sealer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Teal101

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
I had the Foodsaver Costco model FM 5200 and threw it away the other night. I could never get it to vacuum when I wanted it to. The push bar never really worked and you could sit there for 5 minutes trying to get it to vacuum one bag. Two people made it easier, but still a chore. It also occasionally sealed too hot and nearly melts the end of the bag off. Finally got ticked enough trying to seal up some clams I finally got it to seal and tossed it. So now I'm looking for a good option. We seal a lot of meat, seafood, and veggies. We process our own wild game so we seal a lot in the fall when we are lucky enough to harvest an animal. Price range is around $200. Currently looking at the Foodsave Big Game model, but reviews say it has a slow vacuum time. Thoughts?

Steve H Steve H did a review you may want to check

Make sure everything is clean. My food saver did work so brought another and was just checking the old one. Cleaned every thing really good and it works like new!!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Its a known problem with this model and its done it since day one. I've tried everything and finally threw it out!

My 2 cents: I recommend LEM as I own and use it. I have no experience with Vac Master although many folks here own one.

I'd also recommend the Vacmaster Pro 350. It is slightly over budget what your looking to spend. However, if you are going to use it a lot its worth the investment. Which it sounds like you will.
I have had it now just over a year and have had zero issues with sealing. I Sous Vide close to once a week and am repackaging meat quite often. Having a higher quality sealer has been a game changer for my kitchen.
Good luck in your search!

Reactions: Teal101
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky