• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Need a new vacuum sealer

Teal101

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 2, 2020
I had the Foodsaver Costco model FM 5200 and threw it away the other night. I could never get it to vacuum when I wanted it to. The push bar never really worked and you could sit there for 5 minutes trying to get it to vacuum one bag. Two people made it easier, but still a chore. It also occasionally sealed too hot and nearly melts the end of the bag off. Finally got ticked enough trying to seal up some clams I finally got it to seal and tossed it. So now I'm looking for a good option. We seal a lot of meat, seafood, and veggies. We process our own wild game so we seal a lot in the fall when we are lucky enough to harvest an animal. Price range is around $200. Currently looking at the Foodsave Big Game model, but reviews say it has a slow vacuum time. Thoughts?

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
I had the same problem with my Foodsaver until I replaced the rubber seal around the vacuum/sealing chamber. Problem solved.

John

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
Steve H Steve H did a review you may want to check

piker

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 11, 2009
Make sure everything is clean. My food saver did work so brought another and was just checking the old one. Cleaned every thing really good and it works like new!!

Teal101

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 2, 2020
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Its a known problem with this model and its done it since day one. I've tried everything and finally threw it out!

old sarge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 26, 2012
My 2 cents: I recommend LEM as I own and use it. I have no experience with Vac Master although many folks here own one.

S-met

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 1, 2019
Not sure what size you normally seal, but my next sealer will be a 16".

bellis309

Joined Feb 6, 2011
I'd also recommend the Vacmaster Pro 350. It is slightly over budget what your looking to spend. However, if you are going to use it a lot its worth the investment. Which it sounds like you will.
I have had it now just over a year and have had zero issues with sealing. I Sous Vide close to once a week and am repackaging meat quite often. Having a higher quality sealer has been a game changer for my kitchen.
Good luck in your search!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I have the 380 & it has a 16" sealing bar, so you can use the 15" bags & rolls.
Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.