• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Need a New Smoker

fowldarr

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 26, 2013
I need a new Charcoal Smoker.

I live in Oregon and between the rain, heat from using it and thin metal, my old Brinkmann has had it. The ash tray falls out, the intake is rusted in place, and despite my best efforts it has always had trouble maintaining temp (even with mods)

I have a budget of roughly $1000

WSM is too small for my needs.

What do you guys recommend?

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
I was contemplating charcoal at one time. Was leaning this way

jcam222

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Backwoods would certainly be a good one. I’d also keep an eye out for a nice used Humphrey or Assassin. I love my 270 charcoal cabinet but the price point is higher. They are hard to find used. I got my large one used for $1600.

fowldarr

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 26, 2013
Thanks for the recommendations. The backwoods chubby is too small for my needs.

I’ve been keeping my eyes open for a good used smoker, but nothing has come up yet. (I keep watching)

jcam222

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I assume you belong to some of the Facebook groups.

fowldarr

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 26, 2013
I do belong to some of the facebook groups. I should say that nothing has come available that would make sense after shipping.

I'm looking to replace my Brinkmann trailmaster LE which is a 40"? horizontal offset.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
The Backwoods Chubby has essentially a tad more cooking area than that.

fowldarr

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 26, 2013
True, but not for larger cuts of meet (you can't run all 4 racks if you're doing pork shoulders for example)

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom