Need a good Turkey recipe for my MES.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nimrod1

Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Buying an MES today.  Hope to season it tonight.  Cook chicken on it tomorrow, but then a Turkey on Sunday.

I need a good recipe.  I need a brine.  I need a good rub. Cook temp and time. (I will also use a meat therm).  Spritz?

PS: Recipe can't be too spicey.  Mom has a weak stomach. 

What wood is best for Turkey?

Any other tips?

There are many ways to cook a turkey. You could put smoked turkey in the search box & get all kinds of ideas. Personally I like beer can turkey. It's easy just get a big can of Fosters, drink half of it, pour some rub in & jam it up the turkeys behind. Put a potato in the neck & smoke it. If you want to get creative inject it with chicken broth & butter then rub it down with your favorite rub. If you want to go 1 step further brine it first.

Going to try the Slaughterhouse recipe.  But what temperature and how long?  I will be doing a 20 pound turkey.  (I know....Its big but that is what my momma thawed)  I will use a thermometer as well, but I'm trying to plan the time. 

Edited to add:   I now have been reading that I can't do a 20 pound turkey safely.  My MES only goes up to 275.  Can I start it in the oven on a higher temp and move it to the smoker?   If so, what do you guys recommend as temps and times?

Last edited:
Since it's that large a turkey I would spatchcock it. That means removing the backbone & breaking the breast bone so the turkey lays out flat. That way you will get it past 140 in less than 4 hours. Type in spatchcock in the search box, also utube has some videos on how to spatchcock a turkey. If you want crispy skin you will have to approach 300 degrees in your MES. If yours won't run that hot you can crisp up the skin on a hot grill when the turkey is done or in the oven on broil for a few minutes. Good luck & don't forget the Qview!

Thanks for the Spatchcock advice.  It worked very well.  In fact, it worked too well.  Since I was concerned about the bacteria issue, I smoked it at 275 degrees.  It was windy and maybe 55 degrees.  My temperature inside seemed to hover around 240 to 250. I planned on 7 to 8 hours but the bird reached an internal temperature of 170 degrees in 5 hours.  I even ran to the store and bought two thermometers (probe and instant).  I put the turkey in tinfoil, blankets and a cooler.  Stayed hot for hours.  I guess spatchcocking really does slow down the process, either that or my MES cycling on so many times to keep it hot caused it to cook faster.....not sure. 

I tried the Slaughterhouse brine.  As for the rub, I only put on garlic powder, pepper and some olive oil.  I basted twice with apple juice.  I think the sage in the brine made the bird taste a bit off.  It was beautiful and juicy but the taste was a bit wrong.  Not bad, just not great.    (I didn't put the cajun spice on because my mom can't handle spicey stuff)

So, send me some more turkey recipes.  I want something that brings out the natural flavor.  
7ed7bb33_IMG00175-20110320-15441.jpg

It sure looks good Nimrod! Congrats! There are a million rubs & brines. If you want to get more natural flavor just keep it simple. For the brine just start with equal parts sugar & salt, and go from there. Adding some spices like onion powder & garlic powder. Simple spices that you & your family like. Keep experimenting and you will find what works for you.

here some of my brine recipe hope one can help you out:                              #4   alround brine:

#1-- 1 gallon of water    1qt. apple juice to cover bird                                                   2 gallons water      2c kosher salt     2 c sugar    2tbsp morton tender quick

2 c kosher salt    1 c maple syrup   1 tbsp thyme                                                       2 tbsp onion powder    2 tbsp garlic powder     2 tbsp paprika  1 tbsp white pepper

3 bay leaves   2tbsp peppercorns   1/2 c apple cider vinager                                        1 tbsp mustard powder     1tbsp sage   1 tbsp nutmeg

3 coves of garlic (chopped)  1 c bourban  1c brown sugar

#2 1 gallon of water     2 qts apple juice     2qts orange juice                                   #5  2 gallons of water     2c kosher salt  1 c white sugar   

1/2 lbs of jalapendo (around 4-5     2tbsp red pepper flakes

2 c kosher salt    1 c brown sugar    5 cloves garlic

1 c bourban       1 botttle zinfandel wine   5-6 springes of rosemary

#3 2 qts vegable or chicken broth     1 c kosher salt    1 c brown sugar

1tbs rosemary   1tbsp sage    1tbsp thyme    2 qts. ice water

4-5 tarragon

make sure all ingrediates are disslved in the water by boiling -then cool down

before adding to bird and add ice to keep bird cool below 40 degrees 

i put my bird in a garbage bag then into 5 gallon bucket ..or cooler

after takeing bird out pat dry add rub ready to smoke

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky