Need a DIY smoker box for gas grill...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

miserkris

Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
I have a Weber grill spirit e310...I have been grilling ribs chicken for the last one year what I really miss is smoky flavor so I tried this diy smoke Box but the problem is the wood chips inside the foil never really burn so I don't get the smoke out of the foil.
Is it because the pieces are big to burn? Where to get cherry wood shavings?

Pls suggest a good smoke box that i can use to make it smoky....

Thx

Kris

1E1ECA86-2BFB-4D46-B379-5C1EDCE031AA.jpeg
I got a cast iron rectangular box from Walmart on sale that I put down on top of my flavorizer bars and then put meat on other side of weber grill and it has worked perfectly. I usually just leave that grate off so it’s easier to add pellets and chucks. Let me know if you have any other questions.

You should look into the a-maze-n tube. It works for grills and has a smaller footprint.

Chris

The simple answer is you need to put the foil wrapped chunks below the grate, on the burner. The Amaze'n tube is great, and I have one, but yes, you CAN get good smoke flavor with just chunks and HD foil.

Not so sure about chips, they might burn up too quickly.

In summary, wrap 2 or 3 chunks in a double layer of heavy duty foil. poke several small holes in that with a knife. Place this between the flame tamers (the v shaped steel covers over the burner) on the hot side of your grill. Since it's a low oxygen environment inside the pouch, the wood won't ignite but you'll get nice TBS.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky