NC native in the ATL

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nc cue

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Atlanta
Just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Atlanta and am relatively (<1 year) new to smoking, but I'm totally hooked. Have 10 or so pork shoulders under my belt, a handful of chickens, some wings, steaks, and even some burgers and dogs! My favorite item to cook is definitely the shoulder--while I'm in GA for the time being, my heart will always be back home in North Carolina. I grew up on Lexington-style barbecue and that's the route I typically go with my own cooking. Contrary to what a lot of folks in the Piedmont area will tell you, though, the stuff east of I-95 ain't too shabby, either; I love making Eastern 'cue as well, but have yet to do a whole pig. I use a Char-Griller smoker like the one linked below, and cook over indirect heat. I suppose I'll get a fire box attachment one of these days, but I haven't cooked so much meat at once that I've needed both sides of the grill yet. Anyway, I've lurked around here for a few months now and I'm glad I finally bit the bullet and joined!

welcome1.gif
 [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, there's lot's of great people here who love to share and help each other out![/color]

Appreciate the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to contributing what I can while continuing to learn. Like I said in my first post, my specialty is the shoulder; however, I'd love to get into turkeys (I've got Thanksgiving circled on my calendar), ribs (did them once, followed the 3-2-1 method, and they ended up a little tough :/ ), and maybe even beef (hearsay for a Carolina boy!). Growing up I was always told not to smoke because it's addictive, but cigarettes smelled so bad I was never even tempted. Now that I've started doing up meat low and slow, though, I see what everyone was fussing about! The only thing stopping me from smoking all weekend, every weekend is freezer and stomach space.

Welcome from another North Carolinian living in Georgia. Fortunately, I'm only 15 minutes from both NC and SC (the very NE corner of GA), so the BBQ over here is all over the board...I gotta say though, being from the mountains, I'm kinda partial to the Western Style...though the SC Mustard has been my style of choice lately. Again, welcome!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky