NC Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papagreer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Hey Guys,

Do any of you use local butchers to get your meat. Here in Raleigh they are hard to come by. 

Chris

Right now i'm using Cruse Meat Packing in Rimer town.

I have kin folk working there and he keeps an eye on the prices for me.

I have located a couple butcher shops in the Charlotte area but have not visited them yet.

Passed buy the [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Stock Market today so had to pull in and check it out. Needless to say, I will be going back there from now on. I picked up two Briskets to put on the smoker tonight and checked out the Boston Butts as well. They had the Butts for the same price as I could get them thru my kin folk. They even looked a little better too. I'm not bashing Cruse's at all they do have good stuff. BUT it sure is nice knowing someone close to home has a good selection as well.
Thanks for the tip Ale[/color]

What's not to envy about folks that have good meat close to them.  Here in Asheville we have a Sam's Club that does a fair job of supplying briskett and pork butt, and it's mostly untrimmed, which is the way I like to get it.  I'm guessing it's all pretty much processed at the same meat plants for any store in NC.

Anybody know the ins and outs of that process?  For example, grading the meat.  Where does that happen?  Butchering the meat.  Where does that happen?  Years back I used to unload half cows at the grocery store I worked at.  We hung them in the cooler and the butchers did their thing.  I doubt a meat department gets meat in that bulk anymore.  The days of Rocky tenderizing the beef are over.

What's not to envy about folks that have good meat close to them.  Here in Asheville we have a Sam's Club that does a fair job of supplying briskett and pork butt, and it's mostly untrimmed, which is the way I like to get it.  I'm guessing it's all pretty much processed at the same meat plants for any store in NC.

Anybody know the ins and outs of that process?  For example, grading the meat.  Where does that happen?  Butchering the meat.  Where does that happen?  Years back I used to unload half cows at the grocery store I worked at.  We hung them in the cooler and the butchers did their thing.  I doubt a meat department gets meat in that bulk anymore.  The days of Rocky tenderizing the beef are over.

Surprisingly enough, I was in a grocery store today that reminded me of the supermarkets I saw as a kid. There were actually real butchers butchering. It blew me away. English was not the common language however but this place was packed full of people.

If you're looking for pork, you can't beat Nahunta Pork Center.  They're based out of Nahunta which is a small community just north of Goldsboro, but I believe they have an outlet at the Farmer's Market in Raleigh off Lake Wheeler Road.  They actually do the processing from oinkers to package.  I know the owner personally... good family owned business.  Best sausage you can buy.  I've just got into smoking, so I haven't tried smoking their stuff, but I've grilled plenty of their contry style ribs, baby backs, and more BBQ pigs than I can count.  Looking forward to smoking a butt and some ribs soon.  Good fresh country butcher type stuff without all the processing or salt solution stuff you get at the supermarket.  

I'll be in Raleigh in a week or so, so I'll check out the Farmer's Market for lunch, and I'll let ya know.

If you're looking for pork, you can't beat Nahunta Pork Center.  They're based out of Nahunta which is a small community just north of Goldsboro, but I believe they have an outlet at the Farmer's Market in Raleigh off Lake Wheeler Road.  They actually do the processing from oinkers to package.  I know the owner personally... good family owned business.  Best sausage you can buy.  I've just got into smoking, so I haven't tried smoking their stuff, but I've grilled plenty of their contry style ribs, baby backs, and more BBQ pigs than I can count.  Looking forward to smoking a butt and some ribs soon.  Good fresh country butcher type stuff without all the processing or salt solution stuff you get at the supermarket.  

I'll be in Raleigh in a week or so, so I'll check out the Farmer's Market for lunch, and I'll let ya know.
Found this link that gives hours and directions to the outlet in the Farmer's Market: http://www.nahuntapork.com/nahunta-pork-contact.php

Anyone in the Pittsboro, Carrboro, Chapel Hill area..... Anyone know where Cliffs pork comes from? I am getting a whole pig in less than 2 weeks. I can get it from Cliffs in Carrboro or from Lilly Den Farm. We have a CSA with Lilly Den and the meat is awesome. I know the hog will be great from Lilly Den, but it is more expensive. My question.... Is it worth the extra cost? We are leaning towards yes, but what do y'all think?

I am getting my pig for my first whole hog from Lilly Den Farm. We have our meat CSA with them. It's for next weekend. He is going to butcher it on Thursday and I pick it up on Friday. That is pretty darn fresh. Good fresh NC pork from a family farm!

Talk about fresh! I just picked up my pig for tomorrow. It was eating breakfast this morning. I watched it being processed! That's fresh and local. I now feel its the best way to get it!

Windy Hill Farm is a CSA in your area.  Do not know much about them, but it looks like they go to farmers markets, so check them out and talk with them about what you need. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky