Nashville Hot Chicken and Waffles keto style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
As some of you may have read last week I made sugar free dandelion "honey". I have been pondering ways to use it and dandelions in general over the last week and settled in on this meal plan. As always for me the entire meal is keto approved.

Appetizer - Stuffed mushroom with fried dandelion blossoms
Salad - Arugula and jicama salad with dandelion honey mustard vinaigrette
Entree - Nashville hot chicken on green onion waffles w/ dandelion honey syrup
Dessert - Chocolate Lava Cake

I did not do a lot of step by step as I had other things going on as well. I am going to turn things around a bit and put the plated shots up first. For those of you that want a little more info / recipes I will add what I have at the bottom.

Without further ado here is the appetizer. A mushroom stuffed with artichoke , cream cheese and onion. Surrounded by "breaded" fried dandelion blossoms. Served on a bed of young dandelion greens with some dandelion honey mustard dipping sauce.

appetizer 2.jpg

Next up is the salad. My new found favorite salad material arugula with thinly sliced red onion, refreshing jicama matchsticks, shaved parmesan and a homemade dandelion honey vinaigrette. Topped of with some sunflower seeds for a little texture.

salad3.jpg

Main course time. Parmesan crusted hot fried chicken tenderloins on green onion chaffles. Served with creamy burrata cheese and spicy fried jalapenos all covered in dandelion honey syrup. The combination of flavors and textures was an explosion of goodness in the mouth! The crunchy spicy hot chicken along with jalapeno peppers with the sweetness of the honey and the creaminess of the cheese was astoundingly good.

waffles 1.jpg

Last up is the keto lava cake. Topped with a bit of homemade sugar free whip cream and dressed up with some raspberries and mint leaves. A rich and satisfying finish to a pretty tasty meal!!

lava cake 1.jpg

Ok here are some details. First up the green onion chaffles.

Ingredients:
  • 8 eggs
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup chopped green onion ( i like half whites and half greens)
  • 4 TBSP almond flour
Scoop 1/4 cup at a time into mini waffler maker and cook until you get some nice browning. This recipe yields bout 10 chaffles.

chaffle batter.jpg

chaffles.jpg

I did not capture a recipe for the mushrooms, Just stuffed them with some things we had such as leftover artichoke, cream cheese, white cheddar and some green onion. The dandelion flours was a simple egg dredge then shook in a bag of 1/3 cup almond flour, 1/3 cup coconut flour, 1/2 tsp salt, garlic , onion, pepper and paprika. Fried them in a pan with avocado oil.

For the honey mustard dipping sauce I mixed 1/4 cup of my home made sugar free dandelion honey. 1/.4 cup mayo, 1/4 cup dijon mustard , 1 Tbsp white vinegar and 1/4 tsp cayenne. I used some of this and extended it further with olive oil to make the salad dressing.

Below are the battered dandelions.

battered dandelions.jpg

For the Nashville hot chicken I added 1 tbsp of Tabasco to about 4 eggs. Chicken was dipped in the egg mix and then dredged in 3 cups shredded parmesan, 1/2 cup almond flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 3/4 tsp cayenne and 2 tbsp smoked paprika. Chicken was fried in avocado oil in a pan about 4 - 5 minutes per side. I used nice trimmed chicken tenders for this. I did not capture finish pics.

Dessert was a mug cake style lava cake. 4 tbsp butter, 2 eggs, 4 tbsp allulose (can use any sugar substitute , this is my current fav), 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 tsp vanilla and a pinch of salt. Split into two ramekins and microwave 30 seconds at a time until you get the top firmed up but still have the gooey center. I made some homemade sugar free whipped cream to top it along with a few raspberries and mint leaves. The sauce on the plate is a homemade sugar free chocloate syrup. I always keep a bottle of it in the frig for desserts.

Well that's it folks . this was straight up comfort food and very tasty. We will be making this many more times I am sure. The dandelion sugar free honey has found a definite home in my cooking arsenal as well. You can find my personal recipe for that here. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/dandelion-honey.298354/ If I had more time on my hands I might just make a business out of the honey it is MONEY!! (pictured below) Thanks for looking all!!
in jars 3.jpg

I could tear up a plate of that chicken and waffles any day! Nice cook and very nice plating as always!

Reactions: jcam222
Wow Jeff...another stunning magazine quality 5-star meal. What an amazing job. Food all looks fantastic and the presentation is off the charts as usual. Excellent job my friend!!

Stunned once again,
Robert

Damn Jeff that is just outstanding! I mean how can you go wrong with chicken and waffles and in a somewhat healthy way like you did? I would eat that any day. Big like my friend!

Wow again. I still can’t believe you lose weight eating like this.

I never had real Nashville hot chicken...but I would tear your chicken and waffles to pieces. Everything looks excellent as usual!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky