Naked Smoked Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BaxtersBBQ

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
Trying a bit of an experiment today. Just threw a pork butt in the smoker completely naked. No sauce, no rub, no seasoning. Ive seen a restaurant on tv that does it this way. Curious how it will turn out. My biggest worry is it getting dry, but I will still wrap it around 4-5 hours. Anybody smoke their meat this way?
CFC7728E-7F60-44AB-9102-A18131FB7193.jpeg

This is about 90 minutes in and almost no color at all... maybe because there’s nothing for the smoke to stick to?

Last edited:
90 minutes is not very much time in smoke. Going naked, it helps to dry the meat well and let a Pellicle form. This can be accomplished by your resting uncovered in the refer 12 to 24 hours, or place the meat infront of a fan for an hour. A Pellicle is the surface proteins forming a Sticky coating on the meat that allows smoke to stick better. While not really needed on meat that you will smoke over 3 to 4 hours, forming a pellicle, on naked meat, is helpfull...JJ

I normally aim for like 190-195, I do more of a chopped pork. I’ll be using it for a pizza special tomorrow. I’ve screwed up a few briskets in my day but never a pork butt lol. I’m not worried about it being dry too much. I’m just more curious how the bark will taste. They seem to be pretty forgiving.

Reactions: JC in GB
I have done a naked pork butt before. Here are my impressions.

1) When you taste it fresh off the pit, it has a clean and pronounced pork flavor that would normally be subdued by rubs, injections, etc.

2) It has the advantage of you being able to control the flavor profile down to an individual serving.

3) It turned out just as juicy as any other pork butt I have cooked.

4) All this said, after trying this method, I realized why I don't like most restaurant pulled pork. No depth of flavor. I really missed the flavor of the seasoning to the point that my second and third bite of the non-seasoned pork was awfully bland.

If I were doing a cook for someone and had no Idea how they wanted their pork spiced, I would do this again because of reason #2 above.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thanks guys. I think I’ll probably end up seasoning it with some rub and maybe some vinegar when I chop it just to add a little flavor

3CEE32A6-802F-4126-AE2F-533B34C47208.jpeg

Just hit 4 hours and 157 internal temp. It’s a smaller butt so it’s moving pretty fast now. Just wrapped it and will let it go until like 195. I have to say it’s the “porkiest” smelling one I’ve ever done

Looking good.... :emoji_cat: Yes the "porkiness" will be what really sticks out.

Yeah it’s a mix between like a pork roast Sunday dinner and applewood smoked bacon. Not what I’m used to, but definitely smells good. Anxious to taste it

So pulled the pork butt at 200F internal temp. Took just under 7 hours for an 8lb butt. Tender but not mush. Perfect for chopped pork. Flavor was just meh... like a slightly Smokey roast pork. Chopped it, then added back in some drippings, pounded it with my dry rub mix, a little homemade bbq sauce and a couple splashed of vinegar. Perfection. Thanks for following along guys!
F5753DF5-77F0-45E2-BC90-D190F174BD6A.jpeg
34744F59-1907-4404-BA6C-1DFE75F0949A.jpeg

If you frequently make Chopped Pork for a pizza topping. Your meat would benefit from a flavorful injection. Something Salty and Sweet. Below is Christ Lilly's championship injection...JJ

Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

If you frequently make Chopped Pork for a pizza topping. Your meat would benefit from a flavorful injection. Something Salty and Sweet. Below is Christ Lilly's championship injection...JJ

Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Thanks. Yeah this literally the first time I’ve ever tried a naked smoke. The additions after I chopped it helped a lot.

Looks Really Good, Nothing wrong with Necked anything

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky