n00b

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jonthrondarkness

Original poster
Nov 13, 2023
just signed up yesterday... of course.. since it says n00b.. never smoked anything in my life... not even cigarettes.. looking for used smokers on fb marketplace for right now... was told to start out with chicken ( less expensive ) and maybe if i am good at that.. go to a pork shoulder or something..

thanks for the forum!
jonthondark

Reactions: JLeonard
Howdy, and welcome to the community from New Mexico.
Feel free to ask questions about any smoker you are thinking about buying.
Most likely some members here will have one and can give you some info about it.
If you are not sure if you are going to really get into smoking meats, a pellet smoker might be a good choice to start.
Then, if you decide you want to really get into it, you can look at the various other styles of smokers that might suit you better. Or maybe even a better pellet smoker it you like it.
A lot will boil down to your preference.

Last edited:
Welcome from Mississippi! 02ebz06 02ebz06 gives some good advice. Of course a plain ole Weber Kettle is a great learner also. Will teach you fire management and only about $150 for a new basic one. And there are a ton of videos on youtube to learn from. Which ever way you go ask questions and post up your cooks. Dont worry, we were all noobs at one time!

Jim

Welcome from Mississippi! 02ebz06 02ebz06 gives some good advice. Of course a plain ole Weber Kettle is a great learner also. Will teach you fire management and only about $150 for a new basic one. And there are a ton of videos on youtube to learn from. Which ever way you go ask questions and post up your cooks. Dont worry, we were all noobs at one time!

Jim
thank you so much!

Welcome from Kentucky! I'd recommend going with Boston butt as your first try. They are cheap if you catch a sale. It is the most forgiving meat there is and it's hard to screw it up.

While chicken is not overly expensive either, it can be more challenging to get the results you want.

Reactions: jonthrondarkness
just signed up yesterday... of course.. since it says n00b.. never smoked anything in my life... not even cigarettes.. looking for used smokers on fb marketplace for right now... was told to start out with chicken ( less expensive ) and maybe if i am good at that.. go to a pork shoulder or something..

thanks for the forum!
jonthondark
Welcome from SE Florida........ been there done that, now have a patio full and lots of expensive learning.
grill family.jpg

Welcome like JLeonard JLeonard said. A Weber ketttle is a good one to learn in, can pick up a we one for around $200 or used usually can be scored for u see $100. Also pork shoulder would be a good first time smoke. They are very forgiving.

Welcome from SE Florida........ been there done that, now have a patio full and lots of expensive learning.View attachment 681034
woah! what a collection.. i want one of each also! i have a 4 burner charbroiler i was going to try to smoke something in that.. my brother says it wont work very well.. .. i thought it would be a good choice since you can control the heat a bit better than charcoal..

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from Nova Scotia

Above have you covered , and like said ask and show all, even if you think its a silly question , just ask. I did and still do ask and learn here all the time .

As for smoking on your CharBroiler, it can be done and I still do it quite often on lots of different foods even pizza,
Smoker box for BBQing works great, see picture of my Sundays smoke in my Q

but a designated smoker will be a better choice for main smoking. You just have to find the grove you are happy with

DSC_8813.JPG DSC_8817.JPG

David

Welcome from North Carolina, I would agree to what has already been said about the Kettle. They are afforadable and very versatile. You can grill smoke and with a few accessories you can do alot more, There are plenty of youtube videos out there on the kettle

Welcome from Kentucky! I'd recommend going with Boston butt as your first try. They are cheap if you catch a sale. It is the most forgiving meat there is and it's hard to screw it up.

While chicken is not overly expensive either, it can be more challenging to get the results you want.
I absolutely do agree pork is a great way to start it's forgiving and the rewards are of course slow smoked pork tasty family will let you know and when you are done left overs and your confidence is going to be sky high

Welcome from KC. You have certainly come to the right place. Glad you joined us.

Oh, I might add, 'I have never met anyone from Indiana that I didn't like.'

I absolutely do agree pork is a great way to start it's forgiving and the rewards are of course slow smoked pork tasty family will let you know and when you are done left overs and your confidence is going to be sky high
bought a boston pork shoulder butt.. whatever it is.. lol.. big hunk of meat.. i havent a smoker yet.. but may just put it in the oven..

oh and i appreciate the recommendations.. i will never get that kettle.. i had two of them.. and maybe it was during a less mechanically inclined time in my life.. but the legs would not stay on and i could not fix them..

i will probably never have another one.. with that said.. i am still looking.. my friend says brining is the way to go to avoid dryness during smoking.. any of you guys trying that?

bought a boston pork shoulder butt.. whatever it is.. lol.. big hunk of meat.. i havent a smoker yet.. but may just put it in the oven..

oh and i appreciate the recommendations.. i will never get that kettle.. i had two of them.. and maybe it was during a less mechanically inclined time in my life.. but the legs would not stay on and i could not fix them..

i will probably never have another one.. with that said.. i am still looking.. my friend says brining is the way to go to avoid dryness during smoking.. any of you guys trying that?
I would dry brine which means put a good amount of salt all over it wrap up with plastic wrap put it in the ice box if you can two days if not as long as you can pre heat your oven to 225 put it in and at about 165° take it out and wrap it up tightly and cook it until you get to 205 ish take it out put it in a ice chest and let it rest it will stay hot for hrs when you are ready to eat take it out pull it get rid of the funky fat you wouldn't eat mix with BBQ sauce of your choice if that is what you want mostly enjoy your endeavor and ponder your Nex cook hope you enjoy your meal Papa Bob

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky