My wooden smokehouse - Maine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I use the firebox for cold smoking. I throw in a few chimneys of lump charcoal, and toss on some wood for flavor and smoke. 1 chimney will smoke about 2 hours if you need real low smoke. It stays 100 or less if you pile up charcoal and wood.

Interesting. I always tried cold smoking with the fire in the box and it gets way to hot. I could build the fire outside and just relocate coals inside to keep the smoking going. You learn something everyday by watching others. :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm interested to see how all that tin or aluminum works out. Hot smoking in mine has the wood so coated I couldn't clean it. But I love walking by the smokehouse for the dog's walk every day to get a whiff of that cherry smoke. It makes me hungry for second breakfast.

I like the idea of drilling the shelf supports to hold poles. That could be highly useful for hanging multiple small things. I might need to copy that and replace mine.

Beautiful smokehouse. Keep up the good work.

Also, I am interested in this smoking pasture raised chickens. We have an egg laying flock and a new this year flock of dark cornish for raising meat birds. I might be crossing them in the future as I am disappointed in the hen sizes. I would like to hears about smoking those chickens and sharing that wisdom you are holding there. Send me a PM if you do.

I am thinking about tearing down my smokehouse fire box and rebuilding it. It is in the brick smoker section of this sub forum. Making two vaulted ovens on top of each others. Bottom the smoke house fire box like you have and it exhausting into the top one and that top one being a vualted oven with a chimney on the front. That is where I thought of cooking chickens. I could push the fire after hot to the bottom and apply smoke while cooking from there also.

Last edited:
Also, I am interested in this smoking pasture raised chickens. We have an egg laying flock and a new this year flock of dark cornish for raising meat birds. I might be crossing them in the future as I am disappointed in the hen sizes. I would like to hears about smoking those chickens and sharing that wisdom you are holding there. Send me a PM if you do.

Hello ArcheryRob - I have smoked hundreds of pasture raised broilers, and I have paper I published on raising pastured poultry I'd be happy to share with you.

I have actually have a tutorial on that too, but it is at my office. I should be able to upload that stuff tomorrow

You ever post that smoking up? I killed two rooster and might kill an entire flock. I started with Dark Cornish from a hatchery and they are not up to weight as they should be. i need to buy some show stock eggs and start my flock over.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky