My very first DO meal and the second and third...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You all come on over and we"ll go to the lake and Ill feed you good.. thanks for compliments. Debra

Lanai! Spa! Oh my, I think you better compromise on that one.  Get/make one of those firepits with short legs..Start your coals,  go inside make a salad and chill the wine.. Put your meal in a pot.. roast chicken, potatoes, asparagus...and set it in your coals, then you guys get in the spa and every now in then reach out and turn the pot a quarter turn.. then while your wife is changing into her caftan you can set the pot on the table with the salad and chilled wine.. a little bread and butter.. OK Debra come back to the real world.. but really you can have both and cooking this way doesnt heat the house.. good luck on that one..

Wow!  Impressive layout!

Next time I go camping, I'm inviting you!
Looks-Great.gif

Thank you, I  went camping for 16 days in Sept and took my whole set up.  I loved it! Made another chicken and dressing, beans and ribs, potato, brocolli bacon soup and more cinnamon rolls.  Since I did the last 4 nites alone and didnt get around to the rolls until I was alone,  I gave them away to a family with a couple of boys who were packing up to go home and had skipped breakfast..She was extremely happy to take them off my hands.  Cant imagine how I camped w/o my DO
ribsandbeanscornfrittersonacoldnitewarmedusrightup.jpg
 before.  Heres a couple of pics.

079647a7_potatoebrocollibaconsoup.jpg
09f364b6_souptoppingsandbread.jpg

b6cc9d88_hotandreadytogiveaway.jpg
6eb6f2fb_wafflesmadewith100yroldiron.jpg

Thank you, I  went camping for 16 days in Sept and took my whole set up.  I loved it! Made another chicken and dressing, beans and ribs, potato, brocolli bacon soup and more cinnamon rolls.  Since I did the last 4 nites alone and didnt get around to the rolls until I was alone,  I gave them away to a family with a couple of boys who were packing up to go home and had skipped breakfast..She was extremely happy to take them off my hands.  Cant imagine how I camped w/o my DO before.  Heres a couple of pics.

b6cc9d88_hotandreadytogiveaway.jpg
  can i have the recipe for this one
68684be3_imagesCA5WH4YZ.jpg
2c796c71_pleas.jpg

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90914888  Here is the recipe for the Sheepherders bread dough that I also use for my cinnamon rolls. IMO the rolls are better than the bread.    After the first rise I divided the dough, wrapped half in saran wrap and refrigerated it and finshed baking the bread.  I  bake the next day,  but you dont have too.  remove dough from frig and roll out and cut rolls.  Let them rise for about an hour or a little more in a warm place, then bake at 375 for about 20 minutes until they sound a little hollow.  Dont overcook.  When still warm, but not hot slather with glaze, just powdered sugar, vanilla, milk and melted butter mixed together.

Raptor has a recipe for yeast rolls and they make some good ones, but Im not sure on the dough for cinnamon rolls yet.  His recipe should work great tho. Its under recipes for bread.  When camping I let them rise in the warm sun.  Heres some pics of the camping rolls in progress.  Most important dont leave them unattended for a second, or they will be eaten without the glaze.  Hope you like them. Debra

b7ec23b0_butterbrownsugarcinnamon.jpg

a4cc9caf_tollitup.jpg

88ae8563_cuttingtherolls.jpg

04938bca_bakingcinnarollsandmeltingbutter.jpg

5dd69511_smellsnobearcanresist.jpg

737c1d02_glaze.jpg

Last edited:
Well Wildflower you teach me to smoke meat and Ill teach you how to do this.. Cooking in DO is so easy.  Start with a baked chicken and dressing as thats fast and will build your confidence and juicy and tender cooked this way and use your own tried and true recipes at first.  Im really new to this but so far its all been good.   Going to dare a cherry pie soon.  But its really no different cooking on the stove or in the oven except you need to adjust your heat with coals and keep a closer eye on baking. I love it. Happy cooking, Debra

Thanks, the DO is the cast iron pot that our frontiersmen couldnt live without.  Give it a try. youll like it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky