My uds build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rib ranger

Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
Arizona city az
So in payment for the boat trailer I got for free from a co worker I agreed to build a uds for him. Then I figured the only thing better the building on smoker is building 2. After reading reading how much less babysitting has to happen in comparison to my charbroil offset the second one will be mine. I have two small questiins. For my exhaust should I just use the 2" bung on top or is it more efficient to drill 6 3/4 inch holes? Secondly how high off the bottom should my fire basket be? Hopefully I will have some qview pictures Sunday:cool:

7964e0f1641aaa634dbb443c59aa1085.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

for the 2" bung that should be enough i would think(its easier to drill more holes than it is to fill them in) as for the coal basket i would give at least 2" and you really ought to think about an ash catcher of some sort i have a 16" dia cake/pizza pan w/2" walls to catch ashes for about $8 from my workplace (a restaurant supply company)

good luck with the builds

Last edited:
The 2" should be enough but you could use both the 2" and the 1". I agree with @jcollins  about an ash catcher. I have a deep dish pizza pan under mine with the basket on 3.5" SS bolts. 

Did you drill your intakes prior to the burnout? It helps get the fire nice and hot. 

Thanks guys for the advice I will find a suitable pan. I will try out the bungs as well. I can always drill holes later. Plus I have access to lots of lids. :)

good evening, so I was building my fire basket tonight and I have a question. I am using an old bed frame for its angle iron does anyone know if this is safe to use? I attempted goggle fu with no luck.

Thanks

Bed frame should be steel. Just be sure to get the paint off.

8cbff48b779da762af82f00330e4a064.jpg

I have a question how does the inside of your uds's look? Is it similar to this should I season here or take it down further inside?

Wipe it down with mineral sprits and then wipe some oil in it and season.

I used flax seed oil.

8cbff48b779da762af82f00330e4a064.jpg

I have a question how does the inside of your uds's look? Is it similar to this should I season here or take it down further inside?

If that's bare metal, all you need to do is start smoking meat. It will season itself. Some say to spray veggie oil or Pam all over the inside then fire it up. I didn't do that. I put two 10 pound pork butts in there my first smoke and let it roll thin blue smoke for 18 hours! Then I smoked a turkey, some chickens, pork loins, a brisket, it's all seasoned well now!

ecb57c7b0b0f3dd9c3f8d126e826e05d.jpg
8cdb277e2d0cd250cad718853108c212.jpg

OK so I cleaned the inside even more and oiled it down. We finished up this morning and fire up drum #1. Success it is holding temperature somewhere between 225 and 300. What is the best way to get an accurate temp reading from my uds. Is a long probe sufficient or should I get a remote thermometer? Also I found the easiest cheapest vent idea ever.
2c322e47e33c2f127c35c9f47cf30366.jpg

b9b409a60d3e2fd0bcbb13109bc8b571.jpg

Thanks for all of your help so far.

It worked perfectly yesterday tomorrow I will be smoking a pork butt with it. I even played with adjusting the temperature with the magnets and it rose and fell just as it should have. Simple and efficient so far

Here are some in action pictures. The thermometer is basically useless as is. Its about 75 degrees of in its current placement. I also plan to add a second grate around four inches from the top. The last additionan was a custom heat dispersing plate. I took a dollar store pizza pan and put it on top of the fire box after I drilled a hole or 2:) I should have it finished next week the only things left are a handle a lid hook and some paint. Here are some qview pics and a picture of my custom plate.

847510849640ba99d2ccb2a3cda4dc37.jpg

5f5577d9f9fcc3bb734524b3415d36af.jpg

d1632f8ce84a1ff8a7efdf34bc97be4f.jpg

Looks like some good food! Nice first cook!!
My local Walmat had a thermometer with a 12" stem for $4.88 it's fairly accurate. Just drill a little hole in the drum and slide it in.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky