My Turn: Gift Exchange With A Great Forum Friend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
As Jake ( TNJAKE TNJAKE ) has already noted, he and I did a gift exchange this year, and it was nothing short of amazing. He somehow managed to get both of his packages from me on the same day. He sent me three packages, two of which showed up close together. Unfortunately the third package he sent me got hung up with the USPS and just arrived. The pics will be in multiple sections, but that's ok. That will not take away from the amazing array of stuff he bestowed on me this year.

Some exotic sausages, the likes of which I've never seen. Also a duck breast Proscuitto (or however the heck you spell that)
010.jpg

Pork, duck, and duck liver. This should be fantastic
011.jpg

Rabbit, pork, and ginger. I posted a thread with these in a garlic Alfredo sauce over pasta. So good...simply spectacular
012.jpg

Venison, pork, and cherry...what's not to love?
013.jpg

The duck breast prosciutto and wild boar sausage. Mmmmmm
014.jpg

The label says uncured but that's a misnomer. It is cured and ready to eat. Cannot wait to dive into this
016.jpg

Now to package two. Some really cool cuts of various meats. The bounty of this package including the stuff from the first package
002.jpg

Specialty raised pork spare ribs...and my left foot. At least my socks are clean :emoji_laughing:
003.jpg

Beef Picanha roast. I've had the CPB Picanha but this thing is absolutely gorgeous
004.jpg

Lamb T-Bones....Katy bar the door. These will get some super special attention
005.jpg

And some lamb ribs. Never tried them but I can only imagine how good they are gonna be. Funny story behind these. Maybe Jake will chime in and tell how this came about
006.jpg

Now for package number three, which just arrived a little while ago. The whole bounty again
002.jpg

A couple of different TN roasted coffees. I do love my morning coffee
003.jpg

004.jpg

Moonshine peaches. Can you say "French Vanilla ice cream"? These should be off the charts
005.jpg

Smoked hickory syrup. Never heard of it, never tried it, but I can't help but think it's gonna make some great French toast and the possibility of a slab of bacon flavored with this is running through my mind.
006.jpg

And finally a really interesting candle. Have not lit it yet but the aroma of the candle itself is enticing.
007.jpg

The only two things I can really say are WOW and thank you VERY much Jake. What an incredible array of things to delve into. You without a doubt nailed the concept of the gift exchange: share things that the other person either has never tried or cannot get where they live. I've had the honor of doing a lot of gift exchanges with forum members. All have been great but I'd put this one right at the top of the list. It was fun, it was creative, and amazingly thoughtful. Wishing Jake, his family, and all of my SMF extended family a happy and safe holiday season!! This forum and it's members are the best on earth!!

Simply awed at the generosity,
Robert

Last edited:
Fabulous Gift of Top Shelf, Meats! D'ARTAGNAN is is one of the highest rated purveyors of Fine Foods.
That Smoked Hickory Syrup has me intrigued! Nicely done Jake...JJ

excellent looking gifts Robert, very generous! you and Jake really out did yourselves with the gift exchange! Hats off to the both of ya! may have to try smoking some syrup when i make my syrup this spring!

What a display, awesome! If there were ever a couple of guys who know how to put the gifts you exchanged to some creative usage it's you and Jake! I'll be staying tuned in for what's next. RAY

Reactions: TNJAKE
Awesome gifts from TNJAKE TNJAKE ! I cant wait to see what you do with some of it Robert! All awesome stuff! I know you will come up with some outstanding meals! And that candle......i need to find that ! I bet its awesome!

Robert glad you FINALLY got the last package and hope you enjoy it all! I know you will put out some amazing meals. That duck prosciutto is some amazing stuff. And if you put those peaches on some ice cream you may just be the first person ever to get drunk off ice cream lol. Was a blast exchanging with you my friend.

Fabulous Gift of Top Shelf, Meats! D'ARTAGNAN is is one of the highest rated purveyors of Fine Foods.
You sir are correct about D'ARTAGNAN. Top shelf. Found them a couple years back and is my go to for wild game and other stuff I have a hard time finding

excellent looking gifts Robert, very generous! you and Jake really out did yourselves with the gift exchange! Hats off to the both of ya! may have to try smoking some syrup when i make my syrup this spring!
Not only is this syrup smoked it actually comes from shagbark hickory trees which is one of our most prominent trees here. Kinda tastes like toasted marshmallows

Awesome gifts from TNJAKE TNJAKE ! I cant wait to see what you do with some of it Robert! All awesome stuff! I know you will come up with some outstanding meals! And that candle......i need to find that ! I bet its awesome!
My county produces the most dark fired burly tobacco in the world. In the fall they harvest and load up thousands of barns and smoke it over hickory. The smell of hickory and sweet tobacco lingers on the air around here all fall. It's one of our favorite times of the year. The candle was inspired by that
20190813_144429.jpg

Well it if came from Jake and has your endorsement, it must be great stuff. I did the rabbit sausage in the garlic Alfredo and I'll say the sausage was about the best I've ever had.

I'll keep you posted JJ. Can't wait to try it.

you and Jake really out did yourselves with the gift exchange!

Thanks so much Jim but it was actually our wives that set us to task. Jake asked what I wanted for Christmas and his wife balked when I asked for a new boat. That left Jake to get creative, and he excelled!!

If there were ever a couple of guys who know how to put the gifts you exchanged to some creative usage it's you and Jake!

Very much appreciated Ray and I cannot wait to start playing with some of these goodies. Rest assured, they will be posted.

Robert

I cant wait to see what you do with some of it Robert! All awesome stuff! I know you will come up with some outstanding meals!

I guess I could cook up everything Jake sent at one time and make a sandwich :emoji_laughing: Sorry Travis, but it may be a long time before you live down those crazy creations, especially knowing you probably have more on the horizon. Seriously though, i have a feeling that there will be a lot of good stuff coming both ways. The difference is that Jake has stuff he's familiar with. Me...I'm in totally uncharted territory but plan to do my best with what he sent.

Robert glad you FINALLY got the last package and hope you enjoy it all! I know you will put out some amazing meals. That duck prosciutto is some amazing stuff. And if you put those peaches on some ice cream you may just be the first person ever to get drunk off ice cream lol. Was a blast exchanging with you my friend.

USPS may have dropped the ball but it was well worth the wait. Getting drunk off ice cream...and the problem is??? The prosciutto is going to get served Monday evening in out first of three Christmas dinners. Gonna shave it up and serve it as an appetizer.

You aren't kidding about what a great time this was. Take into account it was kind of off the cuff and unofficial but worked so well both ways, it's an amazing thing and a true testament to the spirit of the forum. Cannot thank you enough for engaging in this with me...and really looking forward to next year. Maybe by then your wife will be ok with the new boat I asked for :emoji_wink:

Robert

My county produces the most dark fired burly tobacco in the world. In the fall they harvest and load up thousands of barns and smoke it over hickory. The smell of hickory and sweet tobacco lingers on the air around here all fall. It's one of our favorite times of the year. The candle was inspired by thatView attachment 475843
Dude I'm the most jealous person in the world right now ! One of the best smells in the world!

I guess I could cook up everything Jake sent at one time and make a sandwich :emoji_laughing: Sorry Travis
Lol!!! I guess ive made a bit of a reputation for myself here! Just remember to make enough of each for leftovers! That's when you clear out the fridge and make a real deal Sowsage sandwich!! Lol! Once again Robert I seriously cant wait to see what you come up with!

Outstanding! Now that candle sounds really interesting. Website?
Jim
Not sure Jim they are made about 10miles from me in cedar hill. Picked it up at a local store down the road. Maybe Robert can look at the can and see if there's a website. If ya can't find it pm me your address and I'll get one to ya

Reactions: JLeonard
Reactions: JLeonard and TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky