My trailer smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
WOWNow that is one of the best home built smoker that I have seen in a really long time. You have really out done yourself. Now if you would go get t hat thing powder coated (don't take that wrong it looks great now) you could very well be up there with the Jambo rigs that I have seen on pit masters.
points.gif

Smoker looks fantastic. One idea I'm stealing for my build is definitely the slide out ash tray.

What dia is a 120 gallon tank?

RyanBC,
Can you help me w/ the firebox? How did you know where to cut the tank for the firebox? I have a 250 gallon propane tank and can figure out where to cut the opening for it.

what did you use for those latches ive been trying to come up with an idea those look great.where did you get them?

Hey Diesel,
I used this calculator a found on another forum to determine my dimensions based on my tank size.
http://webpages.charter.net/tomchism/Dodis%20Calculator/
The "Fire box to cook chamber opening" gives you the area required in Sq.In. so with a bit of math you can calculate how that relates to a circular segment. Here is the equation I used:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CircularSegment.html

Daniel,
The diameter of my tank is 25 inches. The slide out ash pan was a great idea I stole from the Meadow Creek cookers. I seasoned mine last night and it made cleaning out the fire box really easy.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone! Really had no idea what I was doing when I started planning so I am really happy with the way it came out.

Hey Kanadan,
I found them at a woodworkers supply place in BC called Lee Valley. They are used for custom made Jigs. Lee Valley ships to the US but I think they are sold everywhere. Just search "DeStaCo Toggle Clamps". Here is the link; I used item C and replaced the black rubber pad with a carriage bolt:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...56&cat=1,43838

Ryan

Thanks for the info. I really thought it was going to be bigger than that, close to 28" based on how much room is in there.. I'm just getting started on my 80g build which is ~24" dia, and i actually dropped by bottom rack about 2 inches from the 3 o'clock position (~10" off the bottom of the tank to the top of the rack) because I thought i was going to be a little tight on room. Looks like you are pretty close to the 3 o'clock position based on the pictures, and looks like you have plenty of room. My RF plate is going to be roughly 5.5-6" off the bottom leaving me about 4-4.5" between it and my food.

How much room did you put between the racks?

Again.. Awesome build, and really similar to the one I'm getting ready to start, other than yours is a touch bigger and trailer mounted.. Mine is just going to be mounted on posts just off my deck in the backyard. I hope it turns out half as good as yours.

Awesome build.

Beautiful !
You are a man who believes in PERFECTION! -------->>
points.gif

Let's get it smokin' !

Bearcarver

WOW!!!

What a cool Build!!!

Points for a quality built smoker!!!
points.gif

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky