My third go at summer sausage SV style.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Ok. I'm sure quite a few folks caught my threads in regards to my 2 dismal attempts at SV summer sausage.
So, in getting better prepped for this. I bought some silicone vacuum bags that another member discussed. Mixed up enough ground beef, 70/30 for a 5 pound batch.
I used TSM kit for this. And added pepper. And pepper flakes to spice her up a tad. I learned that while good. TSM kits tend to lack a decent kick for me.
And since my container I'm using is too small for both chubs. I decided to try this 2 different ways.
One was at 154 for 3.5 hours
The other at 145 for 4 hours
I found there is a difference between the 2 texture wise.
P4280021.JPG

This was at 154.

P4290025.JPG

This at 145.
I think overall the one at 145 came out the winner. It was moister. And the flavor seemed better. Though. I wouldn't refuse either!
I did see fluid in both bags. More with the 154 one. Which would be expected.

Hot dog! Glad you finally got it figured out. Both of those look really good but unless I'm just hallucinating there is a visual difference between the two as well as flavor and textural differences. Great experiment and thanks for sharing.

Robert

Hot dog! Glad you finally got it figured out. Both of those look really good but unless I'm just hallucinating there is a visual difference between the two as well as flavor and textural differences. Great experiment and thanks for sharing.

Robert
Thanks bud! There is a difference between them visually as well. I thought so too.

SH, I do 140 for 4.5 hours and love the results. I'm also a firm believer in PS Seasoning Thuringer SS with powdered buttermilk added. I'm glad you finally got a product you like !

Reactions: Steve H
SH, I do 140 for 4.5 hours and love the results. I'm also a firm believer in PS Seasoning Thuringer SS with powdered buttermilk added. I'm glad you finally got a product you like !
Thanks! I am as well. I was starting to wonder!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky