Summer sausage way too moist

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
I pretty sure I screwed up 15 lb of summer sausage. After getting to the IT of 154 I showered with water to cool down and then let it bloom a couple hours before placing in the frig overnight. Here is the issue : When I cut into one to taste, it has too much moisture and to me is a little mushy and not firm like it should be. My guess is that I used too much water when mixing the spices, about 1-1/2 cups. Can I salvage it by putting it back in the smoker say at 150 degrees to dry it out more - OR should it go in the dumpster? I might add that I have made numerous runs of this before and never had any problem. Next time no water at all. Maybe I'm just getting old and sloppy for not following my proven written down recipe instructions.

HT

First....are you certain you did not have temp. spikes? Is the fat rendered or still intact? If those two can be ruled out, then it may have been your process...how well did you mix the meat paste? was the meat and fat below 32*F when grinding? 1 1/2c. for 15# of meat is not too much liquid. How long were the chubs in the smoker? Long is better for drying. As long as you just showered them and not in a water bath for extended period, should not have reabsorbed too much water...

Reactions: HalfSmoked
I always wrap with butcher paper and let it hang out in the fridge

Ryan

The meat was almost frozen when ground, seasoning was mixed with the water and hand mixed first then ran back thru the grinder on 10mm plate and stuffed immediatly. I also used Soy Protein Concentrate as a binder. The showering process was done outside with garden hose mist for about 15 min. and drip dry. It was left to rest overnight in the frig then smoked the next day. It was nine hours. started at 140 1 hr no smoke, then 150 for several hrs and finally 165 to finish. It did not fat out but did notice water weeping from the holes where the thermometers were. The large chubs I already cut in thirds. Ill do like ya'll said and wrap in butcher paper for a week and see. I hate to trash it.

IMG_3413.jpg
IMG_3408.jpg

Good stuff so far. I routinely add water and no issues and no drying step. I would double check that therm you used especially since you've had success in the past.

Reactions: indaswamp
The meat was almost frozen when ground, seasoning was mixed with the water and hand mixed first then ran back thru the grinder on 10mm plate and stuffed immediatly. I also used Soy Protein Concentrate as a binder. The showering process was done outside with garden hose mist for about 15 min. and drip dry. It was left to rest overnight in the frig then smoked the next day. It was nine hours. started at 140 1 hr no smoke, then 150 for several hrs and finally 165 to finish. It did not fat out but did notice water weeping from the holes where the thermometers were. The large chubs I already cut in thirds. Ill do like ya'll said and wrap in butcher paper for a week and see. I hate to trash it.

View attachment 682524 View attachment 682525
Not an expert at this but I feel you could just pop it back in the smoker to "dehydrate" it a bit or let it hang to dry some.

Whever you do DON'T throw it out!

I've found that crappy summer sausage makes an amazing sloppy joe type base when you just crumble it down or cube it up and church it up a little. Reheat in a pot or crock pot with some bbq sauce or some other great sloppy joe type sauce and then make amazing sandwiches using a good cheddar cheese!

It also works really well for stuff like breakfast scrambles and hashes.
Cube it up and throw it in the smoker and add bbq sauce at the end for something like "burnt ends".
Throw plenty it in a pot of beans.
Use it for navy bean soup or cabbage and sausage dishes, etc.

You can do a bunch with it in it's current form if you can't dehydrate it a bit. No need to toss all that good meat and hard work out :D

Not an expert at this but I feel you could just pop it back in the smoker to "dehydrate" it a bit or let it hang to dry some.

Whever you do DON'T throw it out!

I've found that crappy summer sausage makes an amazing sloppy joe type base when you just crumble it down or cube it up and church it up a little. Reheat in a pot or crock pot with some bbq sauce or some other great sloppy joe type sauce and then make amazing sandwiches using a good cheddar cheese!

It also works really well for stuff like breakfast scrambles and hashes.
Cube it up and throw it in the smoker and add bbq sauce at the end for something like "burnt ends".
Throw plenty it in a pot of beans.
Use it for navy bean soup or cabbage and sausage dishes, etc.

You can do a bunch with it in it's current form if you can't dehydrate it a bit. No need to toss all that good meat and hard work out :D
I knew you guys had my back..thanks everyone for the input., I weighed and tagged a few of them si I can monitor weight loss, and wrapped the rest in unwaxed butcher paper. Will update in a few days. Thanks.
IMG_3418.jpeg

wrapped the rest in unwaxed butcher paper. Will update in a few days.
That should help it . I do it with mine just to dry it down some . I go about a week .
This was all pork with an Italian sausage spice blend .
20191213_081116.jpg
I didn't like the results out of the smoker . So I removed the casing and wrapped in pink paper , then into the fridge for a week or better .
Completely changed the whole thing for the better . Color , texture and taste .
Same exact chub after drying .
20200218_094644.jpg
You'll probably notice the paper will get wet . I normally let it ride . Keeps the outside from getting to hard .

That should help it . I do it with mine just to dry it down some . I go about a week .
This was all pork with an Italian sausage spice blend .
View attachment 682538
I didn't like the results out of the smoker . So I removed the casing and wrapped in pink paper , then into the fridge for a week or better .
Completely changed the whole thing for the better . Color , texture and taste .
Same exact chub after drying .
View attachment 682537
You'll probably notice the paper will get wet . I normally let it ride . Keeps the outside from getting to hard .
I'm going to try that. Going to take the casings off and re-wrap in the unwaxed butcher paper. Like I said, I knew you guys had my back on this. I appreciate everyone's input and responses.

HT

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky