My Thanksgiving Humor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
My Thanksgiving humor

Happy Turkey day! Just in case ya don’t know, I don’t cook for the family holidays. Number 1 because I don’t do stress too well anymore but mostly because Number 2 I have all those memories I need. Its time for the next generation to be learning and making their own holiday memories to be laughed about at the table for years to come.

My sister can’t stand it she has to do it all (at my house BTW), and brother-in-law has the dubious honor of the turkey. Let me explain Brother in law. Did you see TOPGUN? Well brother in law was a career naval aviator of a P3 subchaser.  Remember Tom Cruise’s portrayal? That ain’t my brother in law, God bless his soul.

He’s the “Master” of the oilless turkey fryer……LOL This year they tried to finish the turkey in my microwave with the steel rack still in it. I run into my kitchen LOL My God daughter’s daughter (who is 5 years old), thought it was really neat and cried because he couldn’t do it again. LOL I am so glad as to my stay out of it stance. But I did hastily leave the kitchen after it was all done, so I could laugh.

I should've expected something, last year he fought the cooker for two hours before his step daughter showed him he had to turn the valve at the propane tank to the open position. LOL…… Which made us all wonder about the problem the year before with having a HP set up and regulator and needing a low pressure system. That’s what the man at the store told him anyway…. LOL

Maybe next year, but you can bet I wouldn’t miss it for tub fulla money!

PS I am so thankful he decided to master an “Oil-less” cooker.

Hope you all have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!!

I have been to a few dinners with folks like this...Funny stuff..This is the first year in 25 I was in my home town and close enough to my Brother and his family to cook the Turkeys, 2- 20 pounders. The group collectively told my Sister-In-Law, " If Uncle Jim is not here next year to make the Turkey...NOBODY WILL BE COMING! " She is a sweet Italian girl and makes great pasta and sauce but thinks a Turkey in 12 Hours at 350° might still be undercooked.
icon_eek.gif
 You have to Chisel the meat off the carcass, it's so dry!...JJ

Last edited:
Yeah.... Thats just about how it works around here on the holidays. Except you left out the part when Aunt Susan drinks too much wine and breaks half the dishes while "helping" too clean up.  

If I get board I toss in a comment or two about Donald Trump (Doesn't matter what side of the fence the comment is as we feed both screeching conservative and liberals on thanksgiving) and  then I watch the fireworks. I just snicker and walk out of the room as Teri rolls her eyes at me. 

It's nice to have all the family at the house.  So peaceful.  LOL

b

Hi there Foamheart, Just ran across your post and can relate to the trials of the next generation or even mine trying to do a holiday dinner.

In the past I have done hams and Turkeys but my health has gone south and so they don't ask me to do it any more!

I still smoke'm and would be happy to if they asked.

My son youngest son is 30 and he will come right out at family dinners and ask if dad did the turkey and then tell them how dry oven roasted turkey is!

I feel bad for the family member who is hosting but the kid does have a point. He calls it like he seez'm

They all love the smoke but have no interest, time or the motivation to learn!

That youngest son calls about every other week and asks if I doing ribs on Sunday! He plans his weekends around that.

I usually make it an immediate family thing to spend time with the grandkids!

Enjoyed reading about your thanksgiving.  I just prefer a tasty good smoked bird on my plate on  the holidays or anytime!

Hi there Foamheart, Just ran across your post and can relate to the trials of the next generation or even mine trying to do a holiday dinner.

In the past I have done hams and Turkeys but my health has gone south and so they don't ask me to do it any more!

I still smoke'm and would be happy to if they asked.

My son youngest son is 30 and he will come right out at family dinners and ask if dad did the turkey and then tell them how dry oven roasted turkey is!

I feel bad for the family member who is hosting but the kid does have a point. He calls it like he seez'm

They all love the smoke but have no interest, time or the motivation to learn!

That youngest son calls about every other week and asks if I doing ribs on Sunday! He plans his weekends around that.

I usually make it an immediate family thing to spend time with the grandkids!

Enjoyed reading about your thanksgiving.  I just prefer a tasty good smoked bird on my plate on  the holidays or anytime!
 In my much younger years I once asked Mom why she never watched and learned how to make biscuits from Pop. Pop makes awesome biscuits and cornbread, (Cornbread dressing.). 

Mom's answer, "Why should she learn when he already knows how? Besides this way he's always involved. Course he did smoke a turkey or ham or 2 or 3.

My Pop is 91 years old, and has alzhiemers. Now I am learning about what he's forgot and I never had time for. Its something that happens all the time. You never have the time to worry about it, you're too busy when your young. Then when you get older you want all those times, moments and knowledge you didn't enjoy when you could. I think its human nature. Then you want to share and no one has the time. Thier time will come. Its the cycle of life, or so I have assumed.

Oh I knew how to cook, BBQ & grill, I understood smoking even on a large scale. But curing and brining was a whole new thing. Thats why I came here. Ocassionally when I am grinding or stuffing or whatever I look around and he's sitting there with a smile and you know he's laughing on the inside at me. He told me about corn cobs. Best color a meat can get and free to just pick up...LOL

Don't worry, your legacy will live on. I sometime wonder if afterlife might not be, being remembered. <shruggs> Who knows?

Thanks Foam and Pellet!  I am the oldest left in my family and y'all just brought a tear to my eye.  I do the cooking for the holidays for whoever wants to show up.  Your stories warm my heart tremendously!  It's hard to put into words, but I appreciate your sharing of the memories.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky