My take on "Pickled Mustard Seed" ( Caviar ) On a Mozza Burger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
David, it looks good and I would definitely try it, but I've never heard of it before, either.

Thanks GonnaSmoke for the like and the comment

I like it and making more with different taste also, It's new to me also this year, seen it in a book on smoking I have ( different way to make ) and also saw it in the forum here also , few years back

David

Add another one to the never seen or heard of it club but definitely going on the gotta try that list! Great looking burger and love the gravy fries!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the like and the comment

Yes give it a try , I just ordered in a big bottle of Mustard seeds from amazon , a whole lot cheaper than stores around here. " Around a penny a gram "
I have a few different tastes I want to try , the burger and fries were great
Thank you

David

Nice. A whole new favor explosion. I have plenty of mustard seeds as I make mustard, I'll have to give this a try. I would guess you don't want to dribble any of the Mustard Caviar on your sport shirt? :emoji_laughing:

Thanks thirdeye for the comment

I really like the taste and the texture , having fish tonight and I put it on the baked fish also. And next time I make burgers
I am going to put some right in the meat before cooking.

Yes I just ordered in seeds from Amazon as they are about a penny a gram there, 3 or 4 times as much at the store

Don't want to spill any especially on my Sunday go to meeting t-shirt :emoji_angel:

David

What kind of mustards do you make , also small batches or enough to can and store for the year . Just being noise

David
I've made Asian style mustards from powder for decades, and some with horseradish added. The Paul Kirk book on rubs and sauces has sections on ketchup, mustards, marinades, flavored oils etc., and I've made a few of those recipes. And some online recipes too. Some of Kirk's recipes use prepared mustard as a base (much like you use ketchup as a base for barbecue sauce) and I like that approach. My favorite recipe is a coarse 'spicy' mustard that is good on brats or Reubens that I've made for about 10 years. You can adjust the heat by reducing the cayenne. Here is the most recent version of my recipe, I named it after my friend Rich as he eats more than any of my friends.

~thirdeye's~ Rich –N-Spicy Mustard Version #3
This recipe will make about 45 to 50 ounces of mustard, so plan your jars accordingly. You must sterilize the jars by boiling them for 15 minutes. Following sterilizing set jars on a tray or cake pan and place in the oven to cool and to prevent contamination before filling. But wait until the hour you are ready to fill the jars to sterilize them.

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cup + 1Tablespoon of Oriental Mustard dry powder (Penzey's)

2 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds (grind to coarse)

2 tablespoon brown mustard seeds (grind to coarse)

4 tablespoon garlic powder

1/2 cup dill pickle juice

1 teaspoon white vinegar

2 Tablespoons black pepper

1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper (or Temper Temper Pendery's)

3.5 cup yellow prepared mustard – Frenches brand (this is (1) - 30 ounce bottle)

Bottled water – amounts are below – this should be chilled water, warm water will reduce the “heat” and will make milder mustard.
Instructions:

Mix 1/4 cup of water, pickle juice and vinegar with the mustard powder. Add the garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne, ground seeds… then add the yellow mustard. Add mustard slowly and taste heat factor. Can add more water in order to thin to the desired thickness. Allow to sit on counter for 6 to 8 hours so all flavors and heat develops, then move to fridge. Test flavor again before putting into sterilized jars. Once in jars, the flavor will change slightly as the mixture ages during the next 48 hours. Mustard made like this should last about a year in the refrigerator but will lose some flavor over time.

Variations
Grind the seeds differently and you can change the texture from smoother to coarser.
Add some dried herbs to change the flavor
Adding honey will make a sweet/hot mustard
Adding crushed red peppers or horseradish will make a spicier mustard

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I've made Asian style mustards from powder for decades, and some with horseradish added. The Paul Kirk book on rubs and sauces has sections on ketchup, mustards, marinades, flavored oils etc., and I've made a few of those recipes. And some online recipes too. Some of Kirk's recipes use prepared mustard as a base (much like you use ketchup as a base for barbecue sauce) and I like that approach. My favorite recipe is a coarse 'spicy' mustard that is good on brats or Reubens that I've made for about 10 years. You can adjust the heat by reducing the cayenne. Here is the most recent version of my recipe, I named it after my friend Rich as he eats more than any of my friends.

~thirdeye's~ Rich –N-Spicy Mustard Version #3
This recipe will make about 45 to 50 ounces of mustard, so plan your jars accordingly. You must sterilize the jars by boiling them for 15 minutes. Following sterilizing set jars on a tray or cake pan and place in the oven to cool and to prevent contamination before filling. But wait until the hour you are ready to fill the jars to sterilize them.

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cup + 1Tablespoon of Oriental Mustard dry powder (Penzey's)

2 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds (grind to coarse)

2 tablespoon brown mustard seeds (grind to coarse)

4 tablespoon garlic powder

1/2 cup dill pickle juice

1 teaspoon white vinegar

2 Tablespoons black pepper

1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper (or Temper Temper Pendery's)

3.5 cup yellow prepared mustard – Frenches brand (this is (1) - 30 ounce bottle)

Bottled water – amounts are below – this should be chilled water, warm water will reduce the “heat” and will make milder mustard.
Instructions:

Mix 1/4 cup of water, pickle juice and vinegar with the mustard powder. Add the garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne, ground seeds… then add the yellow mustard. Add mustard slowly and taste heat factor. Can add more water in order to thin to the desired thickness. Allow to sit on counter for 6 to 8 hours so all flavors and heat develops, then move to fridge. Test flavor again before putting into sterilized jars. Once in jars, the flavor will change slightly as the mixture ages during the next 48 hours. Mustard made like this should last about a year in the refrigerator but will lose some flavor over time.

Variations
Grind the seeds differently and you can change the texture from smoother to coarser.
Add some dried herbs to change the flavor
Adding honey will make a sweet/hot mustard
Adding crushed red peppers or horseradish will make a spicier mustard

Thank you I just printed this off, I can see a few different styles that I could make from this. Also will see about picking up Paul Kirk's book
thanks

David

Thank you I just printed this off, I can see a few different styles that I could make from this. Also will see about picking up Paul Kirk's book
thanks

David
You're welcome. The recipe is wide open to changes. One easy way to change the entire complexion of this recipe is the addition of honey. One friend makes a full batch, then adds honey to about 1/3 so his kids can have a sweeter version.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Never heard of this before but is sure looks good. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will defo show it to the missus to see if we want to give it a try as well. Like!

You're welcome. The recipe is wide open to changes. One easy way to change the entire complexion of this recipe is the addition of honey. One friend makes a full batch, then adds honey to about 1/3 so his kids can have a sweeter version.

Thanks , I go through a lot of Honey, and Mona love Lynch's Honey Mustard . Maybe I can make some for her that way, by just splitting part of the batch. Great idea

David

Never heard of this before but is sure looks good. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will defo show it to the missus to see if we want to give it a try as well. Like!

Thanks Eddie for the like and the comment

Its good and easy to make and can blend to your tastes , like I said this taste like my sweet bread and butter pickles. So you can change to less sweet, change the vinegar to cider vinegar add Chile peppers , endless combos

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky