My Super Bowl Throwdown Entry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
My apologies for being off lately, it’ll probably be that way until things get settled a bit. So, very late on this, but my throwdown entry from the Super Bowl; Classic KC Ribs vs. Classic Philly Cheesesteak
9F7FF616-CBBB-4C08-8C54-4232FE3540AE.jpeg

Started by smoking the ribs and the Ribeye in the pellet pooper. Ribs were rubbed in simple SPG and chili powder. Ribeye were seasoned night before.
53BD9C19-7A55-47D5-A401-D8C6611B1BC2.jpeg

Once ribeyes hit 130 I pulled them off to rest. Ribs went a few hours longer then when they were near completion started coating with some cola bbq sauce I got from Weber cook book:
1 Tblspn EVOO
1/2 teaspn Granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon chili powder, but I used ancho
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup coke
2 Tblspn soy sauce
2 Tblspn cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke
Fresh cracked pepper to taste
Directions:
In medium sauce pan heat oil over medium heat, add dry spices cooking to fragrant (30ish seconds) then add remaining ingredients and whisk well. Bring to simmer for about 5 min.
F9698793-CE96-4DBC-AF84-E2FEEB62BCA2.jpeg

One ribeye was rested, wrapped in Saran Wrap and put in freezer to firm up. Once solid after about 30 minutes pulled one out at a time for a really thin slice, a deli sliced would have been ideal, but a razor sharp bridket slicer did the trick. Diced up a bunch of onion and cooked down with butter then the Sliced ribeye into separate CI.
7C4909EF-4344-44D2-B554-AF9C32243CF9.jpeg

Then mixed the two and topped with provolone, stuck underneath the broiler.
37705D98-A545-4555-866A-4D20EA524603.jpeg

No pics, but tasted French bread with some garlic butter, then more sliced of provolone, then dumped meat in and sliced up for everyone. The wings were straight chicken wings on vortex/Weber kettle. Served with the extra cola bbq sauce.

We had a bit of a crowd, it was hard to keep them away for some pics. Once I gave them a up, it looked like this 5 minutes later. It was ALL gone by the end of the game.
2CEA9F6C-E188-4AEC-8C37-EE5719D5FEEB.jpeg

Thank you for the votes and all the guys TNJAKE TNJAKE gmc2003 gmc2003 DougE DougE who put the effort into organizing this! Huge congrats to xray xray jcam222 jcam222 civilsmoker civilsmoker for their amazing winning entries and everyone else who made the effort to put in an entry. Also, hats off to the generosity of tx smoker tx smoker and Steve H Steve H for providing some amazing prizes!

I hope to be more active in the coming weeks and months, thank you for your time!

Attachments

• 193C0D8F-FB58-40AA-8E62-E59879505B41.jpeg
    193C0D8F-FB58-40AA-8E62-E59879505B41.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 10
Looks awesome Jed! Looks like you had quite a crew to finish off all of that! Hopefully things start settling down for you soon!

Ryan

Reactions: Gabzola and bauchjw
My apologies for being off lately, it’ll probably be that way until things get settled a bit. So, very late on this, but my throwdown entry from the Super Bowl; Classic KC Ribs vs. Classic Philly Cheesesteak
View attachment 660675
Started by smoking the ribs and the Ribeye in the pellet pooper. Ribs were rubbed in simple SPG and chili powder. Ribeye were seasoned night before.
View attachment 660676
Once ribeyes hit 130 I pulled them off to rest. Ribs went a few hours longer then when they were near completion started coating with some cola bbq sauce I got from Weber cook book:
1 Tblspn EVOO
2/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup coke
2 Tblspn soy sauce
2 Tblspn cider vinegar
Directions:
In medium sauce pan heat oil over medium heat, add dry spices cooking to fragrant (30ish seconds) then add remaining ingredients and whisk well. Bring to simmer for about 5 min.
View attachment 660677
One ribeye was rested, wrapped in Saran Wrap and put in freezer to firm up. Once solid after about 30 minutes pulled one out at a time for a really thin slice, a deli sliced would have been ideal, but a razor sharp bridket slicer did the trick. Diced up a bunch of onion and cooked down with butter then the Sliced ribeye into separate CI.
View attachment 660679
View attachment 660680
No pics, but tasted French bread with some garlic butter, then more sliced of provolone, then dumped meat in and sliced up for everyone. The wings were straight chicken wings on vortex/Weber kettle. Served with the extra cola bbq sauce.

We had a bit of a crowd, it was hard to keep them away for some pics. Once I gave them a up, it looked like this 5 minutes later. It was ALL gone by the end of the game.
View attachment 660681
Thank you for the votes and all the guys TNJAKE TNJAKE gmc2003 gmc2003 DougE DougE who put the effort into organizing this! Huge congrats to xray xray jcam222 jcam222 civilsmoker civilsmoker for their amazing winning entries and everyone else who made the effort to put in an entry. Also, hats off to the generosity of tx smoker tx smoker and Steve H Steve H for providing some amazing prizes!

I hope to be more active in the coming weeks and months, thank you for your time!
Very Nice spread Jed! I would have been very happy sitting down to that table! I would have even done the dishes!

Reactions: bauchjw
View attachment 660675
View attachment 660676
1 Tblspn EVOO
2/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup coke
2 Tblspn soy sauce
2 Tblspn cider vinegar
Directions:
View attachment 660677
View attachment 660679
View attachment 660680

View attachment 660681

Yeah that looked really fabulous and like a lot of hard work. thanks for sharing

Just a great cook on all fronts Jed. Lots of hard work ,
but it sure was a great looking feed for sure.

And I bet no complaints from the crowd at all, except with you in the way with your picture taking, lol

Hope things start rolling back to a normal pace for you soon.

David

• Haha
Great work Jed and that’s a lot of fine looking food! I wouldn’t mind being invited to a Superbowl spread like that.

It was a pretty stiff contest, some great entries. Glad you posted this as I've been wondering who I voted for, I would have been all over that spread!

Dave

Absolutely superb Jed!! What an amazing array of food. So many great entries, this being one of the very best, it was hard to pick one. You guys crushed it and I'd sure as heck stand in line for a plate of that meal you put together. Excellent job buddy.

Robert

Looks awesome Jed! Looks like you had quite a crew to finish off all of that! Hopefully things start settling down for you soon!

Ryan
Thank you Ryan! It was a good crew to finish it, the beer flowed like wine! Unfortunately, it’ll be a while before things settle down, but that’s the way it goes.
No, thank you for your time.
Great cook!
My pleasure kind Sir! I appreciate the compliment!
BJW, Looks awesome, I'll be looking for my Super Bowl party invite for next year ! :)
Of course! It’ll be in the mail as soon as I know where I’m living! You’re welcome anytime!
Very Nice spread Jed! I would have been very happy sitting down to that table! I would have even done the dishes!
Thank you Civil! You’re always welcome at my table! Dish help is always appreciated, especially since I usually end up doing them drunk after the family is asleep, 😂 you can help me finish the beers too!
Thanks for sharing Jed. Your entry got my vote!
Thank you Jake, I appreciate the compliment and vote! Some great entries in this one! Also, thank you for the effort putting it together!
Yum Jed! That was an impressive spread - nicely done!

Red
Thank you Red, I appreciate the compliment!
Nice work Jed !
Thank you Chop!
Yeah that looked really fabulous and like a lot of hard work. thanks for sharing
I appreciate it! It was a bit of work, but we’ll worth it for a fun party!
The ribs alone got my vote. The write up was even better. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for the compliment and the vote! Im glad you enjoyed it!

Reactions: civilsmoker
Thank you Civil! You’re always welcome at my table! Dish help is always appreciated, especially since I usually end up doing them drunk after the family is asleep, 😂 you can help me finish the beers too!
Doing dishes like can make for a difficult conversation with the wife in the am when she grabs a plate from the cupboard…..lol Or the dishwasher is full the wrong kind of bottles…..

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky