my son's 33rd Birthday dinner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 12, 2017
San Francisco East Bay area, CA
Well.... We didn't have our son in our hose for more then three month just because he didn't want to come and infect us with this nasty virus because we have some medical conditions... He is not infected or sick - just in case... We (the wife and I) insisted that he should come so we could celebrate his birthday... He decided to run a test three days prior to his birthday but this was little to short and the result didn't come on time... He still has no result yet... So, we insisted anyway and he showed up!!!
He (like me) looooves steaks. So this wasn't a brainer what to cook: I had a few NY steaks in my freezer vac packed, 2" thick. Defrosted them naturally, in the fridge for 24 hours.
Re-vac sealed inserting a few rosmarin springs and butter in the bag and in SV bath at 131F for four hours. In four hours I took them out for bags, sprinkled with some BP and coarse salt. That's all. This time I decided to sear my steaks on chimney - a lot of heat and no longer then 1 min on each side. I was planning to have asparagus o side but the wife didn't let me go to produce store this time: she said it's not to safe going to store too often.... :emoji_disappointed: I obeyed.... Roasted vegetables instead of asparagus. Oh, it wasn't too bad at all.... Few glasses of champagne first, before the dinner and then bottle of Pinot Noir with stakes... and a small dessert baked a little ahead of time....
IMG_2654.jpg
IMG_2655.jpg

Out of SV bath .... and BP and coarse salt applied

IMG_2657.jpg
IMG_2658.jpg

On chimney... ... and the plate
IMG_2660.jpg
IMG_2661.jpg

Mmmmmm.... Yummy! ....and a small dessert....
IMG_2662.jpg
IMG_2666.jpg

Thank you for watching!

Beautiful piece of work Push, steak looks perfect, and so nice you got to have your son over for his birthday, Like! RAY

Reactions: pushok2018
Beautiful piece of work Push, steak looks perfect, and so nice you got to have your son over for his birthday, Like!
Thanks, Ray! Your like is much appreciated!
Great Steak and sides! I would inhale that!
Cherish the time with your son!
sandyut, after missing my son for more then three month (only phone conversation) I realized that. Spending your time with your children is priceless..... Thank you for the like!
Oh heck yea that looks great! Nice work.
JCAP. thank you for the like!
Thank you, HT! This was second time I used chimney for this. More often it's a torch through.... I appreciate your like!
Thank you, aledavidov! Thank you for the like!

Reactions: Aledavidov
Chimney idea nothing short of genius. Nice job.

Sounds like you had a great feast for your family, nice job on that steak, cannot beat a good fire sear. Cake for desert, yum.

These crazy times have taught me a lot more about appreciation for everything. I took a lot for granted previously.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky