MY sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 12, 2017
San Francisco East Bay area, CA
I was thinking about making a sausage based on the guideline for spice usage (I have it saved as a file) and my personal preferences.

I prefer certain spices in my sausage and I used whatever I wanted - not based on any sausage recipes I have in my archive.

So, I started with grinding very cold pork picnic using 3/4" plate - 4734 g. Next was semi frozen pork trimmings (1000 g.) and lean beef (560 g.) - grinded through 3mm plate.

Everything back in freezer to cool a little while I preparing spices…. In about one and a half hours I ground pork trimmings and lean beef through 3 mm plate second time to make this portion of meat a binder (glue) for the sausage…. and back to freezer. In one more hour I mixed the meats and spices together by hands…. I added 500ml of ice cold water during the mixing. Back In the fridge until tomorrow.

Next day stuffing time… I wanted something larger for casings and used 75 mm collagen pre-tight casing. First, I stuffed the meat into full length of casing and didn’t like it – way too long…. I decided to split it in a half…..

Done. Hanged the sausages for one hour in room temperatures while turning on my smoker….. In one hour - in the smoker at starting temp 135F for one hour, then 145 – one hour, 155- one hour and 165 for 3 more hours….

1.jpg

This is after 6 hours of smoking the temp came at 138F....

2.jpg

and I moved my sausages into water bath with Anova circulator set at 165F to pouch it….. This took approximately 50 min. to get IM temp to 152. Took sausages out of water bath and ice cold water for another 30 min….. and then hanged it on the rack at room temperature for about two hours… When I was going to transfer everything to the fridge,
3.jpg
my wife asked me to cut one chub to try so I did… and she was asking me to cut another piece, then another and so on…
5.jpg

I tried it and was really good… Next morning I tasted it again… and decided this recipe will be my “to go’ one…. I placed everything back in the fridge till tomorrow until I vack pack everything then and into my freezer….

Conclusion: very-very nice flavor and texture… I am really happy with the result. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 4
Nice looking sausages! I want to give a try at making my own sausages but I’m just not set up for it at the moment.

Great looking sausage. Points for sure. Any issues with bottom of sausage hanging over heating element getting done before top? I like using muslin bags when making that style sausage. The 2# bags are about 17" from end of string to bottom.

Nice looking sausages! I want to give a try at making my own sausages but I’m just not set up for it at the moment.
Thank you, Smkryng! You should - it's fun!
Great looking sausage. Points for sure. Any issues with bottom of sausage hanging over heating element getting done before top? I like using muslin bags when making that style sausage. The 2# bags are about 17" from end of string to bottom.
Thank you, buzzy! No there was no difference - both ends of sausages cooked very evenly...
Looks great to me, been way to long since I made any sausage.
Thank you, Mike! Maybe I inspired you and you will start making sausages again? :emoji_wink: Thank you for the like!
Nice looking sausage. Would you care to share your seasoning recipe.
Thank you, Warren! I appreciate your like! Sure, I'll share my recipe - just a little later because I took away my "magic recipes" notebook away, hidden in the garage...so no one could steal it! :emoji_laughing:
Nice job
Looks yummy
Thank you, SFLsmkr1! Thank you for the like! I appreciate that.

Here is sausage recipe I calculated for certain amount of meat. It's pretty easy to re-calculate it for 5# of meat.
For 6200 g of meat;
Salt - 142 g
Cure 1 - 15,5 g
Sugar - 12 g
Nutmeg - 3 g
Mustard powder - 16,5 g
Ground coriander - 6 g
BP - 12 g
Allspice - 3g
Granulated garlic - 20 g
Granulated onion - 20 g
Crushed red chili - 10 g
Cayenne pepper - 1 tsp
MSG - 6 g

Last edited:
Reactions: crazymoon
Why cure #2? What am I missing? Inquiring minds want to know.
Oooops..... checkdude, you are not missing anything.... I would say - nice catch! I missed it. Definitely Cure 1. Huge mistake in typing on my part. I am surprised that no one else caught it earlier and kicked my a#%.... Thank you!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky