My rub and a critical error

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hijack73

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 9, 2020
SC, just a smidge from Charlotte
I make my own rubs, and I'm totally terrible and notorious for eyeballing measurements.

Pork always gets just a wee dash of cumin, and I mean wee. Today, well, last night actually, I decided I'd do up ribs for the kids and I was out of rub. So into the pantry I go. I had a cumin jar that was just about empty, so mixed up the chili powder and garlic and cayenne and the other good stuff in a small bowl and poured the mix into the cumin powder bottle. It really did look empty, and I knew I had used pretty much the last of it in some beans I'd made a few months ago. I'm a cumin nut when it comes to refried beans. Love that stuff.

Well, my eyeballing self totally misread how much cumin was in that shaker. The ribs, while tender and smoky, are overpowered in cumin.
It's strong. I was a little leery when I looked in the smoker about 30 mins in and said to myself, that sure does smell like cumin...

I might take the last half of the rack and do up some taco filling. As Q, it just ain't right. My son says they aren't bad but I think he's just being kind to the old man lol. I made a pack of smoked sausage so I ate, because I'm just not a rib guy but man it's hard to swallow when you mess up a 16 dollar pack of spares. Need these prices to drop!!

Between learning this pellet grill and that, I feel like I've never done this before 😂

Sometimes ya just have a bad week.

My wife does the same thing. And it drives me bat crazy (another word is usually used there)
In the same token. It drives her nuts when I have 10 different measuring cups and spoons in the dishwasher after my cook. There is no winning here!!

Reactions: jcam222
I have given up and just let her handle all the seasoning mixtures. Yesterday we ground 16# of pork butt for sausage, half breakfast and half Italian and I have no idea what seasonings are in either batch.

Gotta roll with the punches. More than one mistake I’ve made in cooking has been repurposed into a winning meal lol. Strip that meat and tacos it is.

For sausage & complicated recipes I follow the recipe & measure everything out, but for a lot of things I do like you do. I have made my bean recipe so many times I really don’t know what the exact measurements are anymore. But I can tell when it’s all mixed up and I taste it. Then I know if I need to add more of one or more of the ingredients.
Al

Reactions: jcam222
For sausage & complicated recipes I follow the recipe & measure everything out, but for a lot of things I do like you do. I have made my bean recipe so many times I really don’t know what the exact measurements are anymore. But I can tell when it’s all mixed up and I taste it. Then I know if I need to add more of one or more of the ingredients.
Al
Al I do the same. Even when I measure things for cooking I still add and adjust to taste. Even when cooking the same thing I’ve done before I do that. I think sometimes spice strength can vary and to dial it in you gotta go by the taste buds.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky