My next build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I'm still collecting the goodies I need for this. The Landmann Smoky Mountain electric smoker will be here Wednesday. My InkBird PID came today. Now I need to get an enclosure for the controls now that I know what size I'll need. This should be fun!

P3111842.JPG
smoker.jpg

Reactions: JC in GB
Best of luck on the enclosure hahaha :emoji_laughing:

For me the most complicated ordeal of building my PID controller setup was figuring out the enclosure.
I wanted something I could ground against while having enough space and NOT costing an arm and a leg... options are slim :emoji_angry:

I think you may have better luck since they make enclosures that fit PID's like your Inkbird where I am using the HeaterMeter and there is no such enclosure to house it, the heat sink, the SSR, etc.

Please do share with us the enclosure that you land on, and best of luck with it all, PIDs are awesome!

I'm wondering if I can get away with leaving the OEM controller plugged into the smoker, leave it set at the highest setting. And have the PID in series with it. It should be ok. If not, I'll by pass it completely.

Reactions: JC in GB
I'm wondering if I can get away with leaving the OEM controller plugged into the smoker, leave it set at the highest setting. And have the PID in series with it. It should be ok. If not, I'll by pass it completely.

I believe Auber plug and play PIDs do exactly like you are asking about.
I believe you put the analog controller wide open, plug the chord into the Auber PID, then the Auber PID into the wall and you are ready to rock :)

No need to rewire.

Reactions: chopsaw and Steve H
I believe Auber plug and play PIDs do exactly like you are asking about.
I believe you put the analog controller wide open, plug the chord into the Auber PID, then the Auber PID into the wall and you are ready to rock :)

No need to rewire.

Thanks. I thought that would be the case.

Smoker arrived and put it together. Not a bad little unit. Though it is not double walled as some reviews said it was. No big deal. I can get it insulated if need be.

P3141847.JPG

Smoker arrived and put it together. Not a bad little unit. Though it is not double walled as some reviews said it was. No big deal. I can get it insulated if need be.

View attachment 390297

Nice!
Yeah insulating it with a welding blanket or something to that extent may greatly help the PID manage a steady temperature.

Got the PID built. Now to install on smoker and break everything in.

20190317_132714.jpg

Got that darn electrical napalm (heat sink compound) all over the place!

20190317_133626.jpg
20190317_134704.jpg

I'm using the work light as a load for the SSR. Also, this unit is in Centigrade. So I made a little cheat sheet. The enclosure is a BUD aluminum 6x5x4 snap box.

You're gonna like that . Can you set it to step up in temp ? Been using the Auber 1500 on my 30 , its awesome .

You're gonna like that . Can you set it to step up in temp ? Been using the Auber 1500 on my 30 , its awesome .

No, this doesn't step up. I didn't give that a thought when I bought this,. I can swap it out later if I want. From all I've heard. I should like it.

Reactions: chopsaw
That looks good, nice work!
Once you get your setup sorted out with the PID, I'm positive you are going to love it! :)

Very nice mod you have there... I wonder, do you have extra
set of normally closed contacts on your PID which may be used to step up temp....

Not on this unit. Just one output for the SSR. And one output for an alarm. This unit, while getting a lot of great reviews. Is pretty basic. I will probably get a more featured unit later.

What if you use alarm output as step up temp and SP value for SSR... meaning: heater ON latch itself up to alarm point, needs reset and with additional relay in line with SSR, SP point output should , afterwards, regulate desired temperature.... just a thought....

Last edited:
That would work. But I have no room for another relay, SSR or otherwise. Cool thought though. InkBird has a timer set up for four step ups that goes inline with the main PID control. I'm thinking about that. Though I would have to get a bigger enclosure. Something to think about for later.

Reactions: dernektambura
That would work. But I have no room for another relay, SSR or otherwise. Cool thought though. InkBird has a timer set up for four step ups that goes inline with the main PID control. I'm thinking about that. Though I would have to get a bigger enclosure. Something to think about for later.
look at current value for PID internal relay... I don't think it is rated for your total heaters current consumption but you never know.... anyway, you can stack second SSR on top of the SP value SSR if you have enough space... I would hate to see you toss what you have now and spend extra money for replacement. . extra money could go towards big, fat juicy chunk of meat to play with...

Reactions: Steve H
No, it wouldn't handle it.The internal contacts are good for 3 amps. I would melt that in short order! Nice thought though. No room to stack a second SSR either. You do have some cool ideas.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky