My next build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice work on putting that together . Looks nice . You using propane now ,,, I think ? Thats going to be great for sausage .

Nice work on putting that together . Looks nice . You using propane now ,,, I think ? Thats going to be great for sausage .

Yup, propane. I'll still use that for things that don't require to be cooked low and slow.

I just did summer sausage , and a ham . The auto set up is nice . You're going to find cook times are shorter , at least for me . I guess because no temp swings .

I just did summer sausage , and a ham . The auto set up is nice . You're going to find cook times are shorter , at least for me . I guess because no temp swings .

That's one of the things I'm hoping for. Shorter cook times and better heat control.

It's alive!
a1.jpg
a2.jpg

Reactions: tallbm
Found a stand for the smoker. 20.00 at Lowes. A perfect size for this guy.

20190327_034317.jpg

Nice!!!

One thought though, how are you planning to run an AMNPS in this thing since it doesn't have a 3" chip loader hole like the MES does?
I see a 3" hole and a mailbox mod in your future :emoji_blush:

Yup! 3" hole. Mail box mod on the bottom shelf with a damper to close it off when doing normal smokes. I'm still looking at putting a small fan in line with it to help the draw.

Yup! 3" hole. Mail box mod on the bottom shelf with a damper to close it off when doing normal smokes. I'm still looking at putting a small fan in line with it to help the draw.
Might I suggest entertaining a different fan approach for you to think on? :)

My suggestion is to make a cold smoker assist device like the one I made. The little contraption assists with Draw on cold smokes so I'm positive it works in all situations.

Basically it is a cardboard tube with a computer blower fan attacked to the side of it (van is spliced to an old 12v wire and plug). The fan blows at an angle upwards into the tube. The upward draft through the cardboard tube creates draw upwards through the smoker and out of the top exhaust vent... on smoke that has a top exhaust vent like the MES :)

Here is the one I built for my MES40 and it works like a charm for my cold smokes to keep good draw/draft and avoid unwanted stale smoke flavors on my cold smoked meats :)
full

Do as you please but this contraption would kill 2 birds with 1 stone for you (cold and/or hot smokes) :emoji_blush:

I'm thinking of something along those line. Tomorrow I'm going to start putting things together. I'm having a little get away with the wife at Niagara Falls.

Reactions: tallbm
Ok, got home and started on the next step with getting everything drilled and mounted. I'm using 1-1/4" ID food grade stainless tubing to go from the mailbox to the smoker. I figured with this smoker being as small as it is. This should be fine. I installed the fan on the door of the mailbox. With the holes I put in the door even with the fan at full speed. It only puts out a small amount of air out of the mailbox. Enough to slightly ruffle a paper towel. So that should give me plenty of adjustment. I still have to get everything secured in place. But I'm happy with the build so far. I have a larger enclosure on the way. So when I'm done the control for the fan and the PID will be together.

_DSC9040.jpg
_DSC9041.jpg
_DSC9042.jpg
_DSC9043.jpg

It's looking good!
I'm curious to see how your fan on the mailbox works out. I have not seen anyone attempt it or at least report about it. :emoji_smile:

Thanks, I'm just wondering if I put too much of a draft across the tray or tube if it might cause it to reignite. I'm sure it would if it was too much.

Thanks, I'm just wondering if I put too much of a draft across the tray or tube if it might cause it to reignite. I'm sure it would if it was too much.

Yeah I'm wondering the same. Also keep in mind that even if you get the fan speed adjusted well you may have to watch for a strong wind blowing and throwing a wrench in the works lol. Just make sure you have a good Wireless thermometer setup to measure max smoker temp in the case that a fire kicks up in the mailbox.
I've been woken in the middle of the night by such a case, smoker was at 428F in less than the 8 minutes it took for the alarm to go off and for me to get the flaming pellet tray situation handled hahahaha.

I built my mailbox mod super modular and it is easily removable from my MES so I just had to quickly assess the situation, run back in and grab oven mitts, and then remove the mailbox mod from the smoker and then I could independently handle the flaming tray of pellets.

Here is my mailbox mod setup, super compact, portable, modular, and efficient :emoji_smile:

Reactions: Steve H
Looks good. I have a good wireless set up. And I seldom do overnight smokes. So I'm there if something goes wrong. If the tray, or tube, ignites. I can get to it in the matter of minutes. If it is windy then I do my smokes in the garage with either the overhead door open. Or service door. Depending on the wind direction. Just need to get used to this set up and see.

If you put down alum foil on the bottom for drips and to cover the bottom louvered air holes, a sealed system may not need the fan after playing with it several smokes. I plugged and capped my rear drain hole and foiled over the hole in the bottom pan in my Mes 40 Gen 1 to make sure all air passes the pellets going into the smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky