My next build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The water pan is over the hole. My thought was that the water tray would disperse the smoke. If the fan isn't needed then that would be fine as well. I guess this will be a wait and see.

Yeah I think at this point it is simply test and learn time. The good thing is you don't seem to be painted into a corner in any way and you can still make all kinds of changes if needed.

I'm looking forward to your testing and the results :)

Fired up the smoker today.Set it at 107 C. Which is just under 225 F. pretty much dead on.
Now I need to get something cooking!

20190406_100716.jpg

Reactions: tallbm
I also tried out my mailbox/fan combo. I'm happy to say that it worked great! I lit the tray, put the fan on low, and got nice TBS into the smoker. I let it run for 30 minutes. And with it being 50 degrees outside. The smoker stayed at 58-59 degrees. Worked for me! So, I loaded 8 pounds of cheddar in. And let it go for 3 hours. Cheese came out nice. I had a piece right away. And I am quite pleased with it.

P4061882.jpg

Reactions: tallbm
That is fantastic to hear!
I haven't smoked anything in a while so I'm jealous :)
Honestly I shouldn't smoke anything for some time. I have a BUNCH of venison to eat through in the freezer and I kind of picked up another "cooking" hobby that has been taking up my free time.

Maybe I'll take some time soon to prep and do a bunch of ground venison jerky. That would give me something to smoke, use up quite a bit of venison I have, AND reduce the freezer space with all the ground venison I use to at least half once I freeze the finished product :D

The biggest Issue I have is that I can't fit more than about 5 pounds of ground meat in my smoker to turn into jerky and I probably have about 20 pounds I would like to do.
Maybe I'll do 5 in the smoker and 5 in the oven.
Split it up where I do some kind of teriyaki flavor or a flavor that doesn't really need smoke in the oven and then do the other flavor in the smoker. I could get 20 pounds done in 2 batches simultaneously :emoji_blush:

That would work. I'm really surprised with how well the oven jerky comes out. I haven't had venison jerky in quite some time. My supplier is no longer here.

That would work. I'm really surprised with how well the oven jerky comes out. I haven't had venison jerky in quite some time. My supplier is no longer here.

I'm also very impressed with oven jerky. I never would have thought of it if the LEM seasoning pack I used in the past didn't mention it as a method hahaha

I just bought the Inkbird ITC-106 with SSR. I'm collecting other components to get it all hooked when it comes in so i can put it on my MES 30. What would be the minimum gauge wire for power to the PID and smoker. I have 14ga on hand, but not sure it's heavy enough.

I just bought the Inkbird ITC-106 with SSR. I'm collecting other components to get it all hooked when it comes in so i can put it on my MES 30. What would be the minimum gauge wire for power to the PID and smoker. I have 14ga on hand, but not sure it's heavy enough.

I believe the MES 30 has a 800 watt heating element which is around 6.5 AMPS. So 14ga wire is fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky