My new mini Tailgater sized Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BDubz

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 28, 2018
Phoenix
Message_1519852099449.jpg
This smoker was fun to fabricate took 4...1/2 days to build. Just painted it today and did a 5 hr season in burn with hickory after slathering the inside with bacon grease. Worked great with just a few small chunks of wood. With the flu and intake fully opened this mini smoker quickly reached 350 degrees, and howled like a blast furnace, then at half throttling the intake slider it cooled and maintained 250 degrees. No leaks and Iam happy. Can't wait to start smoking meats in it. The idea was to make a mini smoker for camping, and I think this will work great. If you notice the steel anchor welded to the smoker door, it's something I had laying around and thought it gave character, plus I'm a Navy veteran, so it gave a personal touch. Anyways hope you like, feel free to comment or critique.

Last edited:
I like it looks good. How long is the cc? Makes sure to come back and post food and fire box pics. Not enough stick burners on here for my taste

I like it looks good. How long is the cc? Makes sure to come back and post food and fire box pics. Not enough stick burners on here for my taste
Hi Motolife, not sure what CC actually means. I'm fairly new to smoking meats, and not sure of the nomenclature in the meat smoking realm. This smoker is fairly mini in size. The tank is only 14" long, and the smoke stack is 14" tall. The firebox box is made from 1/4" plate and is 8.5" X 7.5" rectangle. The smoke stack is 2.5" in diameter, and the intake is 1.75" in diameter, both with slider style close off's. It will be good enough for the Wife and myself on camping excursions. The grill grate itself is 13" X 10" with 9" of room from the grate to the top of the smoker chamber. A small pork butt, a couple of rotisserie chickens, or maybe two racks of ribs cut in half would probably fit nice. It's tiny. My other smoker is a direct flow/reverse flow, with removable chamber plates, two smoke stacks, and is made from a 55 gallon air tank. It will be a learning curve cooking on this freshly built little guy.

Reactions: FritzHlzr
Great job in building and thinking it out Quality work for sure. How heavy is it to lift up?
Maybe we should not talk about weight? Hahaha... It's a bit on the heavier side for a mini, but solid that's for sure.

That is beautiful! Do you have more pics from the build (I see your avatar pic...)? What kind of paint did you use?

Hi Motolife, not sure what CC actually means. I'm fairly new to smoking meats, and not sure of the nomenclature in the meat smoking realm. This smoker is fairly mini in size. The tank is only 14" long, and the smoke stack is 14" tall. The firebox box is made from 1/4" plate and is 8.5" X 7.5" rectangle. The smoke stack is 2.5" in diameter, and the intake is 1.75" in diameter, both with slider style close off's. It will be good enough for the Wife and myself on camping excursions. The grill grate itself is 13" X 10" with 9" of room from the grate to the top of the smoker chamber. A small pork butt, a couple of rotisserie chickens, or maybe two racks of ribs cut in half would probably fit nice. It's tiny. My other smoker is a direct flow/reverse flow, with removable chamber plates, two smoke stacks, and is made from a 55 gallon air tank. It will be a learning curve cooking on this freshly built little guy.

CC equals cook chamber, great job on the build.

Chris

Reactions: BDubz
What did you use for the cook chamber looks like a portable air tank.
It was an air tank, slightly larger than the portable air tanks that are Campbell brand Walmart and HF sells. Slightly thicker gauge too. It was a vintage air tank from a small compressor.

I have smoked several nice sized Tri-Tips, a half dozen racks of ribs, whole chickens, and a small pork butt, and a few loins in this mini smoker so far, and I have to say that it sure works great. It uses very little wood and heats up quick. Since my original post I have added wheels and a better grease drain. The mini smoker cooks much faster than my other Meadows Creek style Smoker, and I find that each smoke only uses about 4-6 chunks of wood the size of my fist. All in all Iam very pleased, so much so in fact, Iam going to re-vamp my bigger smoker to match this mini smoker dimensions but scaled up. The mini seems to have the sweet spot in exhaust size, firebox size and intake according to Cooking chamber size. Works AWESOME.

Great job in building and thinking it out Quality work for sure. How heavy is it to lift up?
The mini smoker is not too heavy. One person can lift it no problem, but I added nice wheels, so it's a breeze to move about now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky