My New Braunfels project

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hunter791349

Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Grandview, Mo.
Well these are pictures of what I am starting with, poor thing lol. Thinking about removing the fire box and patching the hole in the smoke chamber then moving the fire box to the other side and mounting it lower with the appropriate size hole from fire box to cooking chamber. Installing new exhaust pipe and of coarse a RF plate. The list goes on as you can understand by looking at the pictures.

hope the pics work.....

Still in the planing stage so open to suggestions.

Thanks,

James

</p

http://s713.photobucket.com/albums/ww131/hunter791349/?action=view&current=stage1_2.jpg

Rust on there doesnt look too bad.

Get an angle grinder, knotted wire wheel, and a dust mask.

Also high temp paint.

I have one of those and theyre built pretty solid.

Good smoker.

I have had one just like yours for nearly 14 years and love it,we have just outgrown it.every couple of years I have to strip and repaint.this time I am going to have to replace the legs.they have rotted out under the plastic caps.I have moved my exhaust to the side at grate level.thinking about converting to grill only and removing the fire box.good luck with yours 

Well I can't help you with the mods as I'm not very handy, but if I was that would be my kinda project.

Good Luck & keep us in the loop!

Looks like you are on your way. I reduced the firebox to cook chamber opening by 50% and cooked 2 fatties with perfect temps this past Wednesday. It cooked for 4 hours on 8lbs of lump. Yours is looking real good.

I am new to smoking and just picked up a used smoker just like this one on CL. I will be interested in how your conversion turns out.

Rather than moving the fire box, would it not be easier to move the smoke stack for the conversion to reverse flow?

I admit I do not know anything about reverse flow but I will be checking it out

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky