My latest 120 gallon RF smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingunny

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 26, 2013
Pace, FL
IMG_3056.JPG
IMG_3050.JPG
I picked this up from some dude on Facebook for free a couple of months ago and have been purging it ever since. So far I've ran my calculations and made some marks for the door and where the fire box will go. The hinges are not welded yet, just mocked
up to check for clearance for the flange around the door.

Given the size would you guys have a single door or doubles? I don't plan on whole hog but I don't really want to cut any more than I have to.

IMG_3049.JPG
IMG_3050.JPG
IMG_3054.JPG
IMG_3057.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3055.JPG
    IMG_3055.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 36
Make it a big single door ..slide out racks ..I wa s at the Poteet Strawberry festival outside san Antonio..i saw a guys Pit..had small doors below the door were about ten small doors..turn out to be taco size kielbasa sausage rack slide out ..good idea ..i thought ..had another make the top plate of his firebox bigger and cut a circle on top fire box at an angle I asked him why the hole ...for my disco or discada....

Help, I fear I'm making a mistake! So far I've only cut the line at the top of the CC and it has sprung up 1/4 inch towards the center. The hinges were tacked on once it was cut. I realize these tanks are under tension so is there anything I can do to prevent further misshaping? Or is this normal and will it even out once all is cut? This is my first tank build so I don't quite know what to expect.

Take a strap like the orange one you use in your bed of truck wrap it around tank force it bac k into shape take metal strap material shape it to the contours of the door tack it on the door all way around .....for good measure once it's done..add steel rods to the door ie ribs to ensure door wont ever tweak again .. I do that on cheap water heaters for family .pain in the ass but I do whatever to get it done.. Good Luck

When you say tack on the door all the way around, do you mean as if I were putting on the flange or around the curvature of the door?

Reactions: Weaverspitbbq
Relax my friend, you have done nothing wrong...if it has only moved .25”, it isn’t going to be hard to correct. I don’t know how well your shop is equipped, but fortunately all you really need is a good hydraulic jack, log chains, some scrap dimensional lumber and a BFH. Once you have it shaped the way you want it, you can hold it in place with exterior door flanges....just be sure to pre bend the straps to the tank contour before attaching them to the door. Consider installing an inner flange on the tank. I have found the double flange configuration seats better and keeps the tank side from misbehaving as well.

Yes and contour strap to the tank ..then weld to door. Use 3/8 steel rod cut a foot long weld to door every so often ...
On door closest to firebox weld ribs on inside to ensure that opening stays put ...you can do that to other door...I had to ...I was married into the largest mexican family in Texas...I was given a tank . A commercial water heater yea I know its thin yea i know it dont retain heat but never look a gift horse in the mouth . I welded a 2x2 firebox ..added a damper to it ..tuning plates were not even invented..one door was cut as it was a verticle pit ..it has a crease in it ..character I call it..I spent 270.00 on it ..made it work. .

Attachments

• 20170326_152721.jpg
    20170326_152721.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 34
On door closest to firebox weld ribs on inside to ensure that opening stays put ...you can do that to other door...I had to ...I was married into the largest mexican family in Texas...I was given a tank . A commercial water heater yea I know its thin yea i know it dont retain heat but never look a gift horse in the mouth . I welded a 2x2 firebox ..added a damper to it ..tuning plates were not even invented..one door was cut as it was a verticle pit ..it has a crease in it ..character I call it..I spent 270.00 on it ..made it work. .
My phone number call me If ya want 2104178875 Ron

Well the old jack and chain method didn't work too well. It flexed but bounced back out once I released tension. I don't have a torch so that's not an option right now. But I am curious about something. If I line up 3 sides, couldn't I just grind the fourth side a little until it fits? Or would that just create an even bigger gap?

It may act like spring steel, but it isn’t, so no need for a fire wrench.

How far past “flush” did you take the door when it was hooked up in the medieval chain and jack chamber?
Try again pulling it past flush about .5” and then realease tension to see where it comes back to. You might have to repeat the process several times to get it formed to your liking. Always take it in small steps to avoid having to “undo” too much correction.

I assume you were trying to pull the door into shape, not the tank... correct?

Yes the door, not the tank. Not sure how far past flush as it was off the tank but I jacked it as far as I could get the jack to go, which wasn’t much, before it lifted off the floor.

Any possibility you could post some pics of your dilemma? I think we are singing the same song but different verses. The pics will help get everyone oriented and in tune. Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky