My Garden

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Errrrrr, I wouldn't BUT I'm not overly familiar with the Blue, using Kingsford Competition which has no additives at all. I would use it around the perimeter to deter slugs from creeping in though.....HTH, Willie

Hi Here is the answer I got from Kingsford.

No. Both Kingsford[emoji]174[/emoji] and Kingsford[emoji]174[/emoji] Match Light[emoji]174[/emoji] briquettes contain ingredients other than charcoal to make them efficient cooking fuels. Charcoal briquets do not aid in the breakdown of organic matter.
Again, thank you for contacting us.
Sincerely,Consumer Services

So what do I do with the ashes. If I should just burn Royal Oak Lump, can I put them ashes in my vegetable garden? 

Dan

Quess I gotta to E-mail RO

Last edited:
Hi Here is the answer I got from Kingsford.
 No. Both Kingsford[emoji]174[/emoji] and Kingsford[emoji]174[/emoji] Match Light[emoji]174[/emoji] briquettes contain ingredients other than charcoal to make them efficient cooking fuels. Charcoal briquets do not aid in the breakdown of organic matter.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,Consumer Services

So what do I do with the ashes. If I should just burn Royal Oak Lump, can I put them ashes in my vegetable garden? 
Dan
Quess I gotta to E-mail RO

The briquettes are made of wood, from trees, and the elements/nutrients that were sucked up into the tree are still there.... only in a concentrated form... those nutrients are still available for plant food.... put them on the garden and add some Urea Ammonium Sulfate also, to neutralize the "base"/"caustic" stuff..... ashes are alkaline... (there's the word I was looking for).... there is boron, zinc, copper, magnesium, manganese, sulfur etc. in the ashes...

1 square foot of soil about 6" deep weight ~ 40#'s..... if your garden is 40 x 50 = 2,000 sq. ft. @ 40#'s then what ever you add to the garden will be added to 80,000 #'s of soil... Not a big deal but a big deal to the health of the plants......

I add the ashes from my pellet stove to the garden and I burn 6-7 tons per winter..... and add about 70 #'s ash and 25#'s Urea....

Last edited:
Hi Urea= lime?
Thanks Dan
Hi Urea= lime?
Thanks Dan

My mistake..... Getting old Dan...... Ammonium Sulfate..... 21% Nitrogen and 24% Sulfur..... the sulfur acidifies and neutralizes the alkalinity from the ashes......

Urea is high nitrogen ... 46% and is alkaline....

Last edited:
Hi All Here are some pics of my garden at 7 weeks.Looks like it is going to be a GOOD year.
yahoo.gif

Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky