My first WSM!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lap

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2019
In the short time I’ve been smoking meat, I’ve been doing it on a Weber kettle. I really wanted a WSM, but didn’t want to drop $450 on a new one. My brother in law got his used WSM for half the price of a new one and I wanted to do the same and save a few bucks.

I gave up looking for a used WSM and figured I’d just work on my kettle smoking game.

My wife tells me this morning there’s something I need to come outside and see. I open my garage door and my brother in law is standing in my driveway with MY 22” WSM! It’s in great shape and got it for $200. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. Can’t wait to smoke my first Boston butts on this beast soon.

Will search this awesome place for tips, but I’m open to any and all input on making my first pork shoulder smoke a success. Also looking for mod suggestions. The door seal sounds like a no brainer.

Attachments

• 820CEE22-8D02-42C6-B5FE-CFFC7C308D08.jpeg
    820CEE22-8D02-42C6-B5FE-CFFC7C308D08.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 44
Congrats. No need for mods. Check into the Minion method for your charcoal. Tons of youtube videos about it. Good luck with your first smoke!

Mine cooked hundreds of fine meals before I ever heard about 'mods'. Try to learn it before you tinker with it. You might find, like I did, that Weber has it pretty well figured out.

Congrats. No need for mods. Check into the Minion method for your charcoal. Tons of youtube videos about it. Good luck with your first smoke!
Awesome, thanks! Will definitely use the minion method. Do you put your wood chunks under or on top of your coals?

Mine cooked hundreds of fine meals before I ever heard about 'mods'. Try to learn it before you tinker with it. You might find, like I did, that Weber has it pretty well figured out.
Will do sir, thanks!

Awesome, thanks! Will definitely use the minion method. Do you put your wood chunks under or on top of your coals?
I fill the charcoal ring about halfway with charcoal, place several chunks of smoke wood on top of that, and then fill the ring the rest of the way with charcoal.

I too am cooking on my WSM 22" a LOT these days. You have scored a top tier cooker for a fraction of the price. So many things that just work when using this cooker. I'll also have to agree with Kelbro. On more that one occasion I've been trying to do something out of the box and it's like "Dude! Weber already had that figured out for you!"

Enjoy and we look forward to seeing your eats. congrats!

Not sure about the 22 but I found I get long cooks on the 18 without filling the ring up with charcoal. I get good 8 hours or more on around half load without using water. You can always add more.

Nice score, I'd use it a few times before modding it as others have said. Your first decision should be if you want to use water in the pan or not. Adding wood I just mix it in with the charcoal. Some on the bottom, some in the middle and some on top.

Chris

Nice score, I'd use it a few times before modding it as others have said. Your first decision should be if you want to use water in the pan or not. Adding wood I just mix it in with the charcoal. Some on the bottom, some in the middle and some on top.

Chris
Thanks for the tips! Will definitely cook with it a few times and see if it needs any special care. I plan to use water in the pan, unless you old dawgs talk me out of it :)

I plan to use water in the pan, unless you old dawgs talk me out of it :)

You'll burn less charcoal, learn your bottom vent settings better, and can smoke at 150F to 350F+ (think jerky to poultry) with a dry smoke. But...most start with water in the water pan (I did) and advance to dry smoking with experience.

And should you have the Weber instructions, throw them out. Their hot/cold charcoal loadings are so outdated. The type charcoal you use makes a difference (KBB-eh, RO Ridge/Embers/Expert Grill-good and cheap, Weber-good and expensive, Lump-great for higher temp dry smokes).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky