My first tri-tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kruizer

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Sep 7, 2015
Central Minnesota
Got this at a small meat market in Clear Lake Minnesota after we went for a little leaf looking ride. It weighed right at 1 3/4 lbs precooked. It was seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning and cooked at 225 in the oven til medium rare. It isn't the most tender cut of meat but the flavor is very good. I sliced it across the grain as you all have advised. I will do this again when I have the chance. We don't see much tri-tip in our part of the world.
100_0034.JPG
100_0037.JPG
100_0038.JPG
100_0039.JPG
100_0040.JPG
100_0041.JPG

I almost picked up a TT at Kroger the other day. May go back and get one for next weekend when I'm off. Yours looks pretty good.
Jim

Reactions: kruizer
Got this at a small meat market in Clear Lake Minnesota after we went for a little leaf looking ride. It weighed right at 1 3/4 lbs precooked. It was seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning and cooked at 225 in the oven til medium rare. It isn't the most tender cut of meat but the flavor is very good. I sliced it across the grain as you all have advised. I will do this again when I have the chance. We don't see much tri-tip in our part of the world.View attachment 513688View attachment 513689View attachment 513690View attachment 513691View attachment 513694View attachment 513695
Looks great to me. One day, I'm going to get my hands on some tri-tip. I don't ever see it around me, either, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places...

Looks great! Glad you finally got to try one! They sure are tasty.

Ryan

Looks good to me!
I've been seeing tri tip lately at the grocery, but always pre-seasoned in cryovac.
I would love to try one on my own terms but they're unheard of around here...

That looks awesome.
Weird, T.T. should be fork tender. Your cooking method is the reason it tightened up.
T.T. should be cooked over white hot oakwood coals.
You need to turn it every minute or two until done/ about 15 to 20 minutes max.

And I've never seen such a small T.T. they should be 2.5-5 lbs trimmed up.
20211017_151919.jpg

Right now T.T. is crazy expensive, I don't buy it until it's under $4.00 per pound.
A few time a year it will go on sale for $2.49 per pound, that's when I load up for the year. Good stuff!!!!

Reactions: sandyut and kruizer
We don't get good meaty Dino ribs out here. Every time I see someone post up those big'ol beefy hunks of beef ribs my mouth starts watering. The last time I was in K.S. I ate them 3 nights in a row at various BBQ joints, so I know how you're feeling about T.T.

The funny thing about T.T. is we never saved the roasts at the butcher shop I worked at in the 1980's, it all went into burger so did skirt steak and chuck roasts.
Now people are paying a premium for them.

Some people like T.T. cooked low and slow, but to me cooking them that way tightens them up too much.
It's hot and fast over real wood coals or nothing for me.
Although I have yet too try S.V. T.T. I'll have to pull out out of the freezer. I have a big'ol 6lb bomber in there right now.

You cooked that roast to a perfect I.T. I'm suprised it wasn't a little bit more tender.
Don't give up on them, once you taste a nice tender one you'll be hooked for life.

Cold T.T. sandwiches are freak'in amazing, but paper thin sliced French dips are the real SH!T!!!!!!:emoji_scream::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_thumbsup:

It looks pretty darn good from here. Are area is about the same, occasionally you may find one. Price was ridiculous last time looked.

Looks cooked perfectly. I finally tried a couple earlier in the year and have a couple in the freezer. Grain is funky on them and changes in different spots.

Reactions: kruizer and TNJAKE
Looks very tasty.
Specialty meat shops are the only place I see them.
I eat tri tip frequently. Problem is that it is mixed in the ground beef.
That looks awesome.
Right now T.T. is crazy expensive, I don't buy it until it's under $4.00 per pound
The funny thing about T.T. is we never saved the roasts at the butcher shop I worked at in the 1980's, it all went into burger so did skirt steak and chuck roasts.
Now people are paying a premium for them.
All meat is crazy expensive these days. Pork has been a bigger jump, but because it started less expensive ... ?
There are so many of today's "premium" cuts of beef that used to go in the grinder.

Looks perfectly cooked. I tend to cook mine like Dan says: hot and fast over the coals or on a rotisserie. That helps keep the juices in for a more tender finished product.

Robert

Man, that is cooked perfectly for us!
Great looking TT!
It’’s expensive here, so we buy it for special occasions.
Nice job!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky