My first time smoking anything

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Baylag20

Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
I bought a 20lb brisket at the local supermarket for 2.99 a lb, cut that baby in two rub it with garlic powder and onion powder and smoked with apple wood chips with peach and blackberry whiskey. 1 half is done after 23 hrs of smoking, its wrapped in foil and towels in the cooler cooling down while the other half finishes. Can't wait to cut this bad boy up and chow on some delicious food!

Attachments

• 20201111_181459.jpg
    20201111_181459.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20201111_181449.jpg
    20201111_181449.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201111_164734.jpg
    20201111_164734.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 30
"I remember my first time" it was in the 1970's:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_v:

That looks great for a first smoke.

Next time google how to separate the point from the flat and you will have better control of the flat which is the piece that can get tough if you're not dialed in on your smoke temp and timing.

Let us know how it turns out for you, I hope it turned out awesome for you.
Dan:emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
Welcome from NC. Enjoy your stay, here, and your new hobby.

Is that a bone, in your brisket? Don't believe I've seen a brisket with a bone in it, before.

it looks great! It's ok, you can tell us how the snack pieces tasted! :emoji_wink:

Ryan

Congrats on your first smoke.
Looks good, hope it is.
Butter tender is the idea.

Agree, next time leave it whole to cook and separate afterwards.
A whole Packet brisket is a much more forgiving cook vs just a Flat or cut as you did.
And by separate, we mean the Point from the Flat.
Not by cutting it in half crosswise.

I remember my first smoke. I was impatient, curious, excited, and nervous all together. On top of it all, I was hungry lol. I hope it turns out great. I would also agree don't separate until after you smoke.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
Congrats on your first smoke.
Looks good, hope it is.
Butter tender is the idea.

Agree, next time leave it whole to cook and separate afterwards.
A whole Packet brisket is a much more forgiving cook vs just a Flat or cut as you did.
And by separate, we mean the Point from the Flat.
Not by cutting it in half crosswise.
It wouldn't fit in the smoker whole

It wouldn't fit in the smoker whole

Hi there and welcome!
Great work on the brisket!

For briskets that don't fit I have your solution, check my trimming post here:

To sum it up you cut away the thinner portion of the flat so what is left on the whole brisket is about uniform thickness and trim that good meat to leave a more aerodynamic brisket that won't burn up on you at the end.

I repurpose that good trimmed meat. Usualy i just roll it up and throw it in the pan i place under the brisket along with some trimmed fat and that meat turns into crusty burnt ends or chopped brisket. You can always just place that meat on another rack and pull it early since it finishes earlier.
I also like to save that meat for other dishes like stew, braised, etc. type dishes that it is excellent for. Many guys save it and grind it for burger :)

I hope this gives you a good idea on how to cut your brisket to get the best brisket possible, have it fit, and have great meat you can repurpose for all kinds of eating :)

Reactions: MJB05615
My first thought was your thumb must have gotten tired keeping that bic lighter lit for 23 hrs. That's a long time for a couple of 10 pounders. Seriously tho, it looks like a real successful smoke. Now kick back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Point for sure
Chris

Wow!!
Nice Job, Baylag!!
It took me a lot longer to work up the Nerve to try a Brisket!!
Looks Great!!
Like.

Bear

My first thought was your thumb must have gotten tired keeping that bic lighter lit for 23 hrs. That's a long time for a couple of 10 pounders. Seriously tho, it looks like a real successful smoke. Now kick back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Point for sure
Chris
Its delicious and the fat just melts away. I've been told im smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving.

Nice looking but wow a brisket on first cook.

Warren
I was in the store getting stuff for dinner and saw the brisket and was like why not. I kinda did everything on a whim I didn't google much just the basics

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky