My First Smoker...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jayhawk

Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
I'm getting ready to buy my first smoker. From reading the threads on this forum, I'm thinking of purchasing a Smoke Vault 24". I'm curious if the Vault is capable of doing a "Cold" smoke? For I would like to try to smoke some cheese.

Thanks for your help!

Have you seen the youtube video on cold smoking?

I think I saw some fellow cold smoking using a soldering iron and a tin can. He put a blanket over his grill, but it looks like he could probably have used a cardboard box.

There are a few threads and detailed instructions on here to show you how to cold smoke with a soldering iron, tin can and some wood chips.
I'll see if I can find a few but they are out there and I'm sure someone will stumble across this and be able to point you to one of the better detailed threads.

Thanks for your replies! What type of smokers do ya'll have? Do you have any comments/concerns regarding the Smoke Vault 24"?

Thanks again!!

Welcome to the forum Jayhawk! First off, if you're a KU fan, sorry about the loss to Mizzou (okay, not really!
icon_wink.gif
)!

Second, you can get a cheap hot plate from Wal-Mart, a foil pie tin and some sawdust and cold smoke in a cardboard box if you wanted to! Well, perhaps a cardboard box would be a wee dangerous, but your new Smoke Vault will certainly do!

I'm smoker poor right now...I have a Brinkmann All-In-One (gas or charcoal), an ECB, a Royal Oak electric and I'm waiting on the 18" Smoke Vault to go on sale here at Sportsman's Warehouse.

I love the Smoke Vault for its heavy steel body, nice big shelves and the fact that it comes with a jerky rack. I also love the controlability of the gasser over both my electric and charcoal units.

Mac

Yeah, I'm a KU fan. Our football team is not so good. But, our basketball team is another story!! Going for the gold!

Personally I'm a have a GOSM and a Smoke Vault 24" on the gasser side and a bandera on the charcoal side. So if you like the ease of a gasser go for the Vault 24" model I started out with the GOSM 16" model and it works great but you cann't get a whole rack of ribs in it. The vault to me is better built and it has a 23" grate so you can get large pieces of meat on them too. Now if you want a charcoal someelse will be around to tell you more about them. Oh ya

DADDY I like the GATORS better

mballi3011,

Just curious, which smoker do you use more...the Smoke Vault or the Bandera?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky