My First Smoked Beef Belly (Lotsa Pics And Info)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I could definitely see making burnt ends out of this.

It does great ones.
tx smoker tx smoker Don't know how close you are to Austin, but Salt & Time sourced me a whole belly.

Reactions: clifish
I'm salivating over here! Smoke ring looks great! I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for some beef belly now. Thanks for sharing Robert

It does great ones.
tx smoker tx smoker Don't know how close you are to Austin, but Salt & Time sourced me a whole belly.
I am close to Austin and that is great to know. Thanks Loydb

Been trying for years to find beef bellies, to no avail, until...

Robert
I believe that cut is called a beef navel elsewhere in the Country, from which the best Pastrami is made. I wish I knew where to get a couple of them but as you noted they are often much too expensive for my taste...

Your cook looks incredibly good! :emoji_thumbsup:

Nice Robert, I have not seen this cut yet myself, only been reading about it here lately. I could definitely see making burnt ends out of this.
Thanks Cliff. I considered burnt ends but didn't want to deal with trimming all the fat before going on the smoker. There's just too much of it and I knew it'd be easy to clean the meat after cooking.
Oh and I am starting to doubt your margaritas, we never see pics....you know pics or did not happen...lol
How could you possibly doubt their existence? Where else would all of these weird inspirations come from??

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: clifish
That looks awesome! Your description is making my belly growl. Great job!
Thanks so much. I appreciate it. I did try to be as descriptive as I could to give the folks here a good description of what to expect if they can find the bellies and want to smoke them.

Robert

MMMMMM! Looks delicious! I know what you mean on how rich belly meat is, even though you have to wade through a lot of fat.
Very much appreciate it Keith. I figured if somebody here knew what this was all about it'd be you :emoji_wink:

Robert

Interesting to say the least. How much did that piece weigh before it hit the smoker?
I'd say it was just shy of 5# when I started cooking. Was a smaller belly and the small end and I didn't weigh it, just a guess.

Robert

Great post on a rare cut of meat!
Thank you very much.
Do you plan to cure one and try for a "bacon"?
I would assume it comes out more like a pastrami but curious to see what it becomes with such an attempt :)
I actually have 2 bellies curing now that will get smoked this weekend. They have been in the cure almost two weeks as of today. to me pastrami is more about the flavoring and this will be all the way around the world from the flavor profile of pastrami. Texture may be similar but that's about it. There will be a full post coming sometime soon on the bacon :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: tallbm
Wow Robert great cook and description!
And right on time for me.
I'll be the benefit provider for a local meat company and enrolling them tomorrow...laptop and cooler🤣!
Can't wait to ask about the belly and hopefully bring one home. Thanks for inspiration!

Keith

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Great write up Robert!
I don’t think most of us have ever even seen a beef belly, unless your raising your own cattle.
Thanks for this post!
Awesome as always!
Al

Man that looks good. Can't say I've seen it before. What did you baste it with before you wrapped?

Outstanding!!
That had to be Super Tasty!!
Make sure I'm awake when you post the Beef Bacon!!
Like.

Bear

I am close to Austin and that is great to know. Thanks Loydb

They won't have one laying around, I'd suggest calling in and putting down the $20 deposit. As I recall it was around $9/pound and the giant one in my pic thread cost around $125. But it's a *bunch* of belly. I just pulled the first summer sausage I used the fat cap in, and it's delicious.

Reactions: CTXSmokeLover
I think I actually felt the mouth feel and taste as you where describing it. Nice. and me eating left over squash
Thanks Brian, I tried to be as descriptive as my limited vocabulary would allow so folks would have a decent idea what to expect if they cook one.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky