My first smoke.

Discussion in 'Grilling Beef' started by hrt_attack, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Hi all.
    Well i had my first smoke today. I got frustrated with my Big Cheif smoker , and went out an bought a great outdoors smokey mountain propane smoker last week.
    Well today I decided to smoke a 7 lb NY strip Roast. (thats what my friend who processes her own cows calls it.) I used hickory which made the meat so delicious. I smoked at 225-230 degree until the roast got about 140 degrees. I then placed it in in a alluminium pan and covered it with foil until the roast hit 193 degrees.. 10.5 hrs total cook time.
    I then placed it in a cooler for 30 mins. (next time I will keep it in the cooler for an hour.)
    Well all I can saw is that it was delicious.. i could not keep my son away from it.
    My question to all is do you place bar-b-que sauce on the side, or place it on at the tail end of cooking?

Jack
    HRT_ATTACK

Attachment 6902

Attachment 6903

Attachment 6904

Attachment 6905
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

Me personally, I like to add sauce to it as I eat it. I have found that if properly smoked, it does not need a lot of extra sauce. It is kind of like a good grilled steak, it does not need much steak sauce if the cut of meat is good and it has a good dry rub. Just my opinion. BTW, looks great for your first smoke! Welcome!

Brentman0110

3. pigcicles

pigcicles Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

congrats on a successful smoke HRT_ATTACK. [​IMG]

Personally I would use a rub on that or even just salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic then offer sauce on the side. But that's my personal preference.

4. gramason

gramason Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Good job, nice lookin smoke.

5. Thanks all..
    I used a beef rub my wife bought some time ago.. It worked well..
    i also used a mop that I concocted using apple cider vinigar, olive oil, italian seasoning, garlic, pepper,paprika, and a little apple juice.

6. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice smoke!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

7. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

It really depends on what I am smoking. Big chunk of meat like that, sauce on the side. Individual rib bones, small rack, etc. I may mop some sauce on them.
    Great looking first smoke [​IMG]

8. seaham358

seaham358 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Looks real good....

Nice Smoke.

9. cman95

cman95 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Nice job.....and I have not had breakfast yet. Drooling here. lol!

10. ron50

ron50 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

NY
    Congrats on a successful first smoke. That picture tells the whole story; yum!

11. smokeys my pet

smokeys my pet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Wonderful smoke. As to the sauce I like it on the side if slicing and on the meat if pulled!!!!!!!!!!!! Totally up to you!!!!!!

12. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great looking smoke! Nice job!![​IMG]