my first shoulder.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 12, 2019
northern NJ
I had been debating on getting a pork shoulder for a while, but the timing never worked out, when i would see it at my grocery store i wouldn't be off for a few days, i didn't want to get one freeze it just to unfreeze it a couple days later. so lucky me, i saw one yesterday and was off today.
So up at 5 am not unusual for me, go out to turn the MES on set a 250. get the shoulder rub on used cayenne, fennel seed and onion chips.
DSCF3723.JPG

in for about 11 hours.
DSCF3725.JPG

and pulled
DSCF3726.JPG

no sauce, going to try to make some bbq sauce from scratch tomorrow. planning on adding the picks.

Brad, awesome looking butt! Nice bark and looks good and moist! Cant wait to see you homemade BBQ sauce!

I had been debating on getting a pork shoulder for a while, but the timing never worked out, when i would see it at my grocery store i wouldn't be off for a few days, i didn't want to get one freeze it just to unfreeze it a couple days later. so lucky me, i saw one yesterday and was off today.
Nice job!
Unfrozen pork will hold a few days in the fridge, especially if it is plastic sealed. Don't be afraid.
I'm amazed this is your first pork shoulder. It is a forgiving meat to smoke, well over cook, but not under cook.

Looks great, interesting rub too! I totally get the timing thing. I have lost a butt or 2... It happens. One thing that has really helped me is to cut the butt in half. Just over half the time of a whole butt and 2x the bark. Fits me schedule much better.

Looks great! Guess you're gonna have to do more now. Waiting for your homemade sauce

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky