• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

my first shoulder.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 12, 2019
I had been debating on getting a pork shoulder for a while, but the timing never worked out, when i would see it at my grocery store i wouldn't be off for a few days, i didn't want to get one freeze it just to unfreeze it a couple days later. so lucky me, i saw one yesterday and was off today.
So up at 5 am not unusual for me, go out to turn the MES on set a 250. get the shoulder rub on used cayenne, fennel seed and onion chips.
DSCF3723.JPG

in for about 11 hours.
DSCF3725.JPG

and pulled
DSCF3726.JPG

no sauce, going to try to make some bbq sauce from scratch tomorrow. planning on adding the picks.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 16, 2007
Looks great. Congratulations

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Lots of good eatin there.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Looks tasty. Nice looking bark and looks like it pulled good. Try some of chef jimmyj chef jimmyj finishing sauce and Lexington style sauce on it.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 18, 2017
Brad, awesome looking butt! Nice bark and looks good and moist! Cant wait to see you homemade BBQ sauce!

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
I had been debating on getting a pork shoulder for a while, but the timing never worked out, when i would see it at my grocery store i wouldn't be off for a few days, i didn't want to get one freeze it just to unfreeze it a couple days later. so lucky me, i saw one yesterday and was off today.
Nice job!
Unfrozen pork will hold a few days in the fridge, especially if it is plastic sealed. Don't be afraid.
I'm amazed this is your first pork shoulder. It is a forgiving meat to smoke, well over cook, but not under cook.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Looks great, interesting rub too! I totally get the timing thing. I have lost a butt or 2... It happens. One thing that has really helped me is to cut the butt in half. Just over half the time of a whole butt and 2x the bark. Fits me schedule much better.

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Looks really good brad, very nicely done!

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Looks great! Guess you're gonna have to do more now. Waiting for your homemade sauce

Ryan

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.