My first run at ribs.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQBeth

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 7, 2023
So I finally got my smoker seasoned and smoked my first 2 racks of ribs. Sorry if this post is too long. I did not get pictures but do have questions and a nice new way to eat leftover ribs that made the hubby go nuts. I did them 2 ways because my BIL said I needed to use that smoker as a stick burner and stay away from charcoal. So we wanted to see what we liked and what the smoker liked.

The first rack was trimmed and seasoned. Water pan on the rack beneath the ribs. The smoker was set up with chunk charcoal (minion style) and seasoned hickory was added as the coals got hot. When additional fuel was needed hickory was added. Temp ranged from 200-250 during the cook period. Ribs hit done temp, were removed wrapped and rested while the 2nd rack was started. By this time the charcoal was spent and wood embers remained. So this rack was cooked with only hickory. Same process though it was a little harder to control temp surges with just the wood and it seemed the smoker wanted more air with the wood vs charcoal and wood?

So both batches were pretty good. I was very happy for our first run. But the second batch was far smokier (almost too strong) than the first. It makes sense to me that they would be since more smoking wood was used but those were the smokiest ribs I have ever tasted I think. I deliberately avoided mixing oak because there is a BBQ place here that uses oak and there BBQ is delish but does not agree with me (theory=oak).

Now for the questions.
1. Was the super smokiness because I used only hickory or is this normal for stick burners? Any other possible causes/solutions?
2. I was using a 4 probe Thermapro thermometer and had a temp difference between 1st and second shelf (12" apart) of usually about 25 degrees. when the 2 temps were right together fuel was running low. It seems like this would be normal since heat rises but want to confirm that and then why would they even out when fuel was low?
3. The water pan was a normal disposable aluminum pan placed in on the shelf below the ribs (approx 5 inches above the floor). I started with about 1 1/2 inches of water in the pan. I had a pan full of water and drippings when both racks were finished (over 7 hours later). I expected to have to add water. Is that normal?

1. Was the super smokiness because I used only hickory or is this normal for stick burners? Any other possible causes/solutions?
It could be the hickory, could be what your taste buds are used to, or it could be that it wasn't a clean smoke. Was the smoke white or blue? Heavy or faint?

2. I was using a 4 probe Thermapro thermometer and had a temp difference between 1st and second shelf (12" apart) of usually about 25 degrees. when the 2 temps were right together fuel was running low. It seems like this would be normal since heat rises but want to confirm that and then why would they even out when fuel was low?
Heat rises, this happens in my WSM. The top shelf is warmer than the bottom shelf.

3. The water pan was a normal disposable aluminum pan placed in on the shelf below the ribs (approx 5 inches above the floor). I started with about 1 1/2 inches of water in the pan. I had a pan full of water and drippings when both racks were finished (over 7 hours later). I expected to have to add water. Is that normal?
That sounds like a lot of water at the end. Especially since you only cooked two racks. Were the ribs frozen when you started cooking them?

Chris

One thing I have found that works great is when you get the right color or bark (amount of smoke) you want on the ribs, I put squares of butter on the top and wrap in pink butcher paper and then foil over the top of the butcher paper to finish the cook and for the rest. This process has made my ribs incredibly consistent and delicious.

Reactions: JLeonard
As far a fuel source goes, there’s very little difference in wood vs. charcoal. Charcoal burns hotter, cleaner and more evenly than raw wood. There’s plenty of science that proves that out.

The quality of food, seasonings and fire control are variables that are far more impactful on the end result than the wood vs. charcoal debate.

The smokiness could be due to how clean your fire was burning, or not. Ideally, your fire is producing very little smoke.

After sitting for years, I finally gave away my stick burner, so I haven’t used a water pan in years. My pan sat below the area where the heat entered the cooking chamber, and I rarely cooked above 250° on my offset, so I could get through long cooks without adding water.

Enjoy your experimentation! That’s what makes smoking so much fun!

It could be the hickory, could be what your taste buds are used to, or it could be that it wasn't a clean smoke. Was the smoke white or blue? Heavy or faint?

Heat rises, this happens in my WSM. The top shelf is warmer than the bottom shelf.

That sounds like a lot of water at the end. Especially since you only cooked two racks. Were the ribs frozen when you started cooking them?

Chris
The smoke was light and blue and smelled very clean. It did not have that funny almost acrid smell. I had about a 3-5 minute spot where it got heavy. I missed a small spot of bark on the wood (it got missed) I put in but it was well seasoned and only lasted a minute it burned off right away. The ribs were thawed in fridge and then set out for about 15 minutes to take the chill off before putting in the smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky