My first RF Piggy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
drool.gif

Looks GREAT!

David

Did a 22 lb. dressed little piggy this weekend on my RF.

6 - 7 hours, and done to perfection.

Tex Mex Rub, inside and out, apple juice in the drip pans, and 300 degrees to finish, and crisp up the skin.

Oh my.....that looks good. What temp did you start your cook at? I have a 100 lb pig to do this weekend on my offset stick burner and I'm thinking it might take upwards of 20 hours or better to get it to look as good as yours.

Brad

I'm trying to imagine how my kids would react. It could go either way really. When my son was around 1 he was present for a lamb roast tho, whole lamb on a spit in a Greek friend's yard. How long is that piggy? I think I could fit something like that in the smoker I'm building, 22lbs certainly would fit... heh

Started at 250, kept it between 250 and 220, and like I said, finished at approx. 300

Gonna do a 60 lb. in a few weeks, keep me informed on yours so we can both get them right.

Thanks

Don

I'm trying to imagine how my kids would react. It could go either way really. When my son was around 1 he was present for a lamb roast tho, whole lamb on a spit in a Greek friend's yard. How long is that piggy? I think I could fit something like that in the smoker I'm building, 22lbs certainly would fit... heh
I could have fit two on my smoker, sure cuts the cook time.

It was approx. 30 - 36 inches, but not very wide.

Last edited:
Did the smoke get into the meat good?  How would you compare the quality of the served meat over a Boston Butt?   Ive always thought of doing one, just want to know if its worth the effort once you get past the visual aspect.  

Did you carve the meat, or pull it all off of the bone and mix it together?  Was there a lot of fat left or did it render out?   Was the skin eatable?

Started at 250, kept it between 250 and 220, and like I said, finished at approx. 300

Gonna do a 60 lb. in a few weeks, keep me informed on yours so we can both get them right.

Thanks

Don
Ill be doing about a 60lb as well. Hopefully yours is first so I can see :) You got any pics of it being served? Ill be doing mine at a local bar, and I Havent decided how to serve... it would be easier to leave outside and just pull what I can, and serve inside. I can monitor portions that way. Save the ribs and good parts for the cooks and helpers :).. Thanks

Hope my pig comes just anywhere close to that beautiful looking

Mike

Did the smoke get into the meat good?  How would you compare the quality of the served meat over a Boston Butt?   Ive always thought of doing one, just want to know if its worth the effort once you get past the visual aspect.  

Did you carve the meat, or pull it all off of the bone and mix it together?  Was there a lot of fat left or did it render out?   Was the skin eatable?
yeeah, I meant to ask those too ... heehe. thanks RIb :)

Got some nice smoke flavour, not overpowering, considering how small it was, very little fat, juicy as all getout, some of the skin was edible right off the smoker, (ears, nose, legs, etc), but put some of the other cracklings in a toaster oven, and crisped it up.

Could not carve it, had to pull all of it as it was too tender.

Mixed it all!! 

Thanks.. cant wait for sept 8th... thats my due date :) Just got my grate in from my dad... its a little over kill.. but it willwork. Ill have to figure out another way to FLIP the pig during the cook.. 

My plan is to just pull every damn piece off and mix together :)

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky