My first real smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2013
Massapequa, NY (Long Island)
Recently, I got a Masterbuilt Dual Fuel Pro for my birthday. This weekend I was determined to do some smoking! My past experience with smoking was using foil smoking packets on my weber gas grill. Took me about an hour and half to put together which would been less but I was simultaneously watching my 11 month old daughter haha. Instructions were clear and easy to follow.

I seasoned my smoker as per the instructions and suggestions on this forum Saturday morning, made the suggested chip tray mod by putting an old cast iron grill pan I had on top of it, and then ran to the supermarket midday to find something for a quick smoke and settled on chicken thighs.

I made a paste by mixing my standard bbq rub with some olive oil and rubbing it under and on the skin. I smoked them with hickory at about 300 for an hour or so until they reached 165 internal temp. They turned out great...really juicy and smoky but the skin was still floppy ( for lack of a better word). Ended up pulling the meat and making sandwiches for a great dinner. Here's a picture:

I had also picked up a 5lbs pork shoulder and a small package of presliced beef back ribs at the store. I gave the pork shoulder a coating of mustard and a the same bbq rub that I put on the chicken thighs and just rubbed the beef ribs with some Montreal steak seasoning... Got up early and got them both on the smoker 9am. Had the smoker at or around 225. Ribs took about 5 hours and made a great lunch while the shoulder took about ten. Both were great but I wanted a little more smoke flavor Iin the pork. Here are some pics...

This post is getting long haha but I am so thankful to everyone on this forum for their past posts which guided me through a pretty successful smoking weekend. Without your posts I wouldn't know where to start! Totally hooked already!

- Chris

Thanks! Everything tasted pretty good but when I ate the chicken a couple of days later it tasted bitter and oversmoked.  I think I had vent in the main chamber too closed because I was smoking at a higher temp and assumed that the open top vent would cool down the smoking temp...Maybe it formed that chemical I read about on here...When I did the pork shoulder and the beef ribs the top vent was open all the way and I got a nice smoke flavor with no bitterness. 

<points and whispers>  Mumbles....... he's an addict........ He'll be begging for meat outside the supermarket till he finds out how you get it in  massive quanties at Sam's or Costco. He'll need a new pickup cause the family car doesn't hold enough. A new freezer to store these delicacies so he can cook more faster.

Wasn't it simply a beautiful day for smoking and playing with that cute little daughter.

Looks like good grub, congrats and looking forward to seeing more posts of your exploits!

Hey, over here.

<whispers>

Would ya mind entering into your profile (button above on the task bar), and adding where ya sleep at night please. It will help folks answer your questions better, and I won't show my butt by having to continuously ask, not everyone knows about my memory problems yet. I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Yep. lloks darn good from my point of view.

drool.gif

More flavor for the pork, marinate it, before you smoke it and see what comes of that.  Also, for a glue for the rub, use Honey

Thanks for all the feedback!  And you're all right! Addicted already...stopped at the grocery store because I needed milk for my daughter and couldn't resist peeking at the meat case...Sure enough found chicken leg quarters for 59 cents a pound.  Couldn't resist...took them home...smoked them with some apple wood for about an hour and change at 300-325.  Nice subtle smoke flavor and incredibly juicy. And god bless these forums because the skin was actually crispy...higher temp definitely good for chicken.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky