My first pork shoulder! (Picnic cut)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinmegg

Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Miami, FL
Hey everyone, finally smoked my first pork shoulder. My boyfriends mom had a great looking picnic cut in the fridge so I decided (at around 10am) to get it set up and throw it in my MES. This was a very rushed process but I'm still proud of the outcome. I grabbed the meat and plugged in my smoker to get heated up.

I threw a rub together really quick. I do have the recipe for "Jeff's rub" but didn't make it to the store to get all the ingredients. I used kosher salt, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder and pepper.

I set the meat in the fridge for about a half hr while I soaked the chips and heated up the smoker. I placed it in the smoker at 11am.

I set the heat at 230 and it stayed very consistent. I changed the chips about 8 times. 3 times I used wet chips and the rest I used dry. I used hickory chips. I put a thermometer in the meat and waited for it to get to an internal temp of 160.

I finally reached 160 at around 4:00pm so I covered it with foil to cook it until it reached 200 internally.

It cooked another two hrs and then it was ready to come out and cool. It smelled so amazing!

I drained the juices to pour on later and started to pull apart the meat. It was so tender and just fell apart. I knew it was going to taste as good as it smelled.

After I pulled it apart it was ready for dinner. I couldn't be more happy with the way it turned out. I'm so glad I used the smokers e-course to help me. This was very tasty and I can't wait to smoke brisket and a boston butt this weekend. :yahoo:

drool.gif
 Looks GREAT!

Happy smoken.

David

Now you need to save up for a good digital thermometer for the inside the smoker temps and the food temps.

Get the gadgets as you go along.  Will make things so much easier.

Kat

Your first effort is way better than mine was. Nice job!

The bad news, your addicted now.

Disco

Looks great!  Only gets better from here!  In BBQ, time is everything, when you have more time, try giving the rub 24hrs before smoking... it will be worth the wait!

For the rub, which Paprika did you use?  Many people think there is only one, but there are really many... some sweet and some hot.  Personally, I use the hot ones... I like it when my lips tingle for an hour after eating!  Generally speaking, if it's just labeled as "Paprika" it's one of the sweet ones.  I was just in a Spice and Tea Exchange and they had about 10 different Paprikas.

Thanx everyone! My next smoke will be Saturday and I'll be smoking a few brisket and a boston butt. I plan to put the rub on the night before (this time with Jeff's rub) so it should be even better.

@Disco yes! I am addicted now haha!

@sskyking I used just plain old paprika. I read there are different types but completely forgot why grocery shopping. Thanx for the reminder because I would like the spicy paprika! And yes I will definitely be putting the rub on overnight.

YUMMY - my name is Jim, and yes im addicted- seeing this post isn't helping me, I am going through withdraws as my mouth is now watering up...  I went to turn on the smoker and am setting in my seat again , my watering mouth has went to a constant drool that cannot be stopped for at least 3 hrs..

I just want you to know what you started from all those beautiful pix of that chunk o Pig you smoked...
th_HaHAAHaa.gif

Fantastic !!!

Penzeys if you have one near by-it looks as they carry the in-store version of the online spicehouse selection,very very close on price as well... good place to get your spices and they have Locality spices which is awesome...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky