My First Pastrami Q View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtworldmike

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
roaming shores, ohio
Well as of a couple weeks ago I had no idea what a Pastrami was, couldn't even spell (pastrami.) . I don't think I ever even tasted any.Guess I've lived a sheltered life out here in the sticks. I've had corned beef before and loved it. so after reading all the great threads on here and drooling over the Q's I figured I'd give it a go. 

This site and the people on this site  are the greatest. Look and you shall find. Ask and you shall get answers.  I now have had my first taste of the goodness !!.

Last week I bought a 3 lb CCB point and a 5 lb flat at Wally World for this venture. Here be da details.

Soaked the CCB's for 8 hrs in water. 5 water changes.

Rubbed heavy with a mix of course black pepper, Old Bay, garlic and onion power and the little packs of bird seed that came with the CCB's. I didn't have any EVOO to coat with so I just used cooking oil. Wrapped in plastic and refrigerated over night.

Into the smoker with cherry wood @ 230.

My plan was to smoke to 165. Foil, then pull @ 190- 2 or so. rest for a few hrs.in a cooled then into the fridge overnight for slicing the next day.  Started raining so I had to finish in the oven after foiling.

Times:

(Point ) smoked to 165 @ 230.                      7 hrs.

Foiled,finished in oven@240, pulled @ 193    2hr.

total time  9 hrs.

(Flat.)   smoked to 165 @230                           9 hrs

Foiled,finished in oven @240. pulled @ 192      4 hrs

total time    13 hrs.   I didn't think this thing was ever gonna get done!!!!

I have no idea if mine turned out the way their suppose to, but all I know is IT WAS KICK A$$ GOOD! I'm amazed.

Thanks for all the help and for looking. Hope you enjoy the Q's as much as I am enjoying my newly found love for this stuff!!

Ready for the smoke

f0f244f2_IMG_0359.jpg

I thought they were close to foil time. Ya right, talk about a stall !!

fb69c735_IMG_0363.jpg

while this point was resting in the cooler. I was looking and droolin over Alelover's pastrami Q's..I couldn't take it any longer. I broke down and violated this one with a dull knife for a couple quick sammys. My first taste!!  WOW

7ec1b54f_IMG_0367.jpg

The sammys were just there a minute ago?

426b0c65_IMG_0370.jpg

The point sliced up this morning.

2859d061_IMG_0371.jpg

The flat this morning after chillin overnight. It goin in the freezer.

ae5b8df2_IMG_0372.jpg

Great job there Mike! Now you know you will never be able to buy a corned beef or pastrami sandwich again, now that you have tasted the real deal!

Wow! Those came out super nice!!  LOVE doing pastrami - I was going to stock up today, but I like Willie's strategy, too.  hmm. better get some more Guiness, too.

Hey Barbie, I'm with you Guiness & pastrami. Yea it doesn't get any better than that, except for some slaw to go with it!

so many pastrami threads, all of them looking amazing.

I admire your willingness to jump in head first, and the results look incredible, I nearly took a bite outta the monitor at that first slice pic!

is 0525 PST too early for a ruben?

Great job - very nice looking pastrami and I am heading to the store for some today

Beautiful Job, Mike!

Nice run-down on the times too!

Your sammies look a little light on the meat and bread, etc.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky