My first fatty...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shaneyb72

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 11, 2014
So I’ve been reading about fatties on here for years. And since I just got my new RT-700, I decided to finally give it a try!
I picked up a 1.3 lb package of meatloaf mix (beef, pork, veal) on clearance for $3 the other day. So I used that for my meat. I filled it with grilled onions, grilled peppers, and lots of mozzarella cheese.
I struggled with rolling a bit...may have overstuffed! But I wrapped it in my bacon weave anyway and threw it in the fridge.
I smoked it with Cabela’s Competition Blend pellets at ~250 for about 3 hours. Hit IT of 166 and had nice crispy bacon.
You’ll see some ribs on there as well. Picked these up from Wegmans also on clearance. $6/rack for what are labeled as “Jamaican Jerk Pork Ribs”.

Attachments

• B7936A9C-3BA4-4C56-85B4-E5F4A53FD101.jpeg
    B7936A9C-3BA4-4C56-85B4-E5F4A53FD101.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 103
  • C581C8B1-B59E-4895-A85C-7083FF0762EF.jpeg
    C581C8B1-B59E-4895-A85C-7083FF0762EF.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 70AA2479-AF7E-4D40-ABC2-99FD23DDE978.jpeg
    70AA2479-AF7E-4D40-ABC2-99FD23DDE978.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 6FF0C591-C645-4818-A316-B887CA01A473.jpeg
    6FF0C591-C645-4818-A316-B887CA01A473.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 145
You’ll see I started out with the fatty on a copper grill mat to try to control any mess. But after about 90 minutes I realized how much grease it was sitting in...preventing the bacon from crisping properly. So I took it off the mat for the last half.
Also, I fully expected a blowout due to my poor rolling technique! Happy to say I had no issues!

Reactions: kruizer
Looks good Shane. I was wondering what you had under the fattie. How well do you like the copper mat? And I'll cook mine on a cooling rack placed on top of a aluminum pan to control the mess.
Jim

Looks good Shane. I was wondering what you had under the fattie. How well do you like the copper mat? And I'll cook mine on a cooling rack placed on top of a aluminum pan to control the mess.
Jim
I love them. I’ve been using them for about a year. They really help contain messes...especially when just grilling meat. I don’t use when smoking very often. But when grilling, you still get great grill marks like there was never a mat!

Reactions: JLeonard
you did an awesome job for your first fatty! Sitting here impatiently waiting with you for it to cool! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

Tastes great...would maybe just like a little less peppers and a lot more cheese next time! I’m thinking the center may be a little cheesier maybe.

Reactions: JLeonard
Fatty perfection right there. Congratulations and welcome to a whole new world.

Point for sure
Chris

Man, imagine if you were a mattress salesman and she walked in the store. Yikes

Chris

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
The fatty looks great but I want to know how the jerk ribs turned out.
The jerk ribs were surprisingly amazing! I’m always a little leery of these pre-packaged items. But at $6/rack, I couldn’t pass them up. Now I wish I would’ve bought them all.

Looks good!!
Like you said, could use some more cheese. Maybe try adding some cheddar or monteray jack.
BTW, everybody overstuffs fatties. LOL
Gary
Isn't that the truth! That's why my wife stuffed our first fatties...I'd never get it closed! Have the same issue making burritos too

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky