My first ever smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

egledhill

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, 30 years into my life and I'm finally on the way to my first smoke. Wife bought me a WSM 18.5 for our anniversary last week and I figured I better try it out before the temps get too low around here. Decided on spare ribs since I hear they can be forgiving. Picked up a full rack and a St. Louis cut. Took the membrane of the back (I think) gave them a good rub down, and wrapped them to sit in the fridge overnight. Forgot to get a pic of the St. Louis cut but here it is wrapped.
And the spare ribs before and after rub

Can't wait to get this started tomorrow. Side question though. I was taking the membrane off the back and noticed there was still a real thin layer of I guess silver skin. Is that normal or should I have taken that off. I tried like hell but couldn't get that to separate. Anyhow, wish me luck tomorrow!

Oh. Forgot to mention. I'm planning on doing the 321 method at 225-240 using applewood and maybe 1 chunk of hickory. When I wrap them at the 3 hour mark I was thinking of using a butter-brown sugar-honey mix in the foil with maybe some apple juice. Thoughts?

Looks good to me, lets see how they turned out

Gary

Alright, we're rolling! Did a charcoal chimney and a batch at the bottom with 4 pieces of applewood and a piece of hickory in the center:

Thermometer on the top was reading 235-240 of I figure temp was good at the grate. Good smoke coming out of it too
Got 2 hours on them as of now so getting everything ready for the wrap.

Figured I get the side dish ready so made moms potato salad.

Nothing like it. Never had a better potato salad. Check back in a few. Thanks fellas!

Looking good, you only forgot one thing !!!   where we need to come for supper

Gary

From the looks of those ribs, I'd say you will be hooked.

I can see it now. A blanket wrapped around the WSM and you waiting in the window for smoked meat perfection to be finished.

Try a spatchcocked chicken next. Easy and fast, but make sure you have a good thermometer.

EDIT: It looks like you might have had a bit too much white smoke coming out there. But then again it might have been the lighting.

Either way you can read up on Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsearch?search=Thin+blue+smoke

Last edited:
From the looks of those ribs, I'd say you will be hooked.

I can see it now. A blanket wrapped around the WSM and you waiting in the window for smoked meat perfection to be finished.

Try a spatchcocked chicken next. Easy and fast, but make sure you have a good thermometer.

EDIT: It looks like you might have had a bit too much white smoke coming out there. But then again it might have been the lighting.

Either way you can read up on Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsearch?search=Thin+blue+smoke

Definitely hooked! Yeah the smoke was a little thick in a few of those pics. I think it was because the top was off or just put back on and the coals got a rush of air to them that made it flare up. Most of the time the smoke was looking like this:

The only real problems I had with my first go around was at the 3 hour mark, I left the top off while wrapping the ribs and when I put them back on the temp spiked up to about 275. Spent 30 mins closing the dampers and even to the point using the spray bottle on the coals to get the temp back down.

The only real problems I had with my first go around was at the 3 hour mark, I left the top off while wrapping the ribs and when I put them back on the temp spiked up to about 275. Spent 30 mins closing the dampers and even to the point using the spray bottle on the coals to get the temp back down.
I still do that from time to time, usually when beer has been involved, but it has been few and far between lately. Keep up the smoking and especially the Qview.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky